Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Configuring and troubleshooting AAA on ASA for use with VPN

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Herbert Baerten

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about the use of AAA (Authentication, Authorization, Accounting) for Remote Access VPN on the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) with Cisco expert Herbert Baerten who will answer questions on this topic. He can also answer questions on the use of various AAA protocols such as TACACS, RADIUS,  LDAP and PKI (certificates), as well as the usage of the local AAA database, including  Dynamic Access Policies (DAP.) Herbert Baerten is a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in Brussels, Belgium, where he has been part of the Security team since joining Cisco six years ago. His area of expertise is in security, including VPN, IPSec VPN, and SSL VPN on the Cisco IOS and Cisco ASA platforms.

Remember to use the rating system to let Herbert know if you have received an adequate response. 

Herbert might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Security sub-community Other Security Subjects  discussion forum shortly after the event.   This event lasts through December 22nd, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

35 Replies 35

Hello Herbert,

Recently, I configured the Local Database User on ASA-5540 for Remote IPSec VPN for specific duration of time using ASDM (by Edit User Account-->VPN-Policy-->Connection Setting---> Access hours) so that user can access the resources during the allowed Access Hours and it is working fine for me.

The questions are,

Is there any command or way to check that the User Access Hours are finished and he is no more able to access VPN.

Secondly, can we give a small pop-up message to user that his Access Hours are finished and he will not be able to login using Cisco VPN Client software.

Regards,

Sajjad

Hello Sajjad,

thanks for your questions. One important thing to note when using time-based access restriction is that this only restricts the time period that the user can establish the connection; once established the tunnel will continue to exist even past the end of the time range allowed.

E.g. if you allow connections between 9am and 5pm, then a user who connects at 4:59pm can remain connected all night.

You can address this by also restricting how long a session can last, using "Maximum Connection Time" in ASDM, or vpn-session-timeout  on the CLI.

So if you set the session timeout to 30 minutes, then someone connecting at 4:59pm will be disconnected at 5:29pm. However this also means that someone who connects at 9am and wishes to remain connected until 5pm, cannot do so - he will have to reconnect every 30 minutes.

The questions are,

Is there any command or way to check that the User Access Hours are finished and he is no more able to access VPN.

There is no command that explicitly shows the active/inactive status of a certain group-policy. However you may find the following commands useful:

show time-range will show you the time ranges you have defined, and whether they are active or inactive at present.

show vpn-sessiondb ra-ikev1-ipsec will show you all current RA VPN sessions, including the time the session started (Login Time).

If you are only interested in a certain group or certain user then you can use the filter option with the above command, e.g:

show vpn-sessiondb ra-ikev1-ipsec filter tunnel-group myTunnelGroup

show vpn-sessiondb ra-ikev1-ipsec filter name JohnDoe

Or you can use ASDM to view the same information, on the Monitoring tab -> VPN Statistics -> Sessions.

On that screen you'll also see a "Logout" button, which allows you to disconnect a certain session. From the CLI you can do this with vpn-sessiondb logoff name JohnDoe

Secondly, can we give a small pop-up message to user that his Access Hours are finished and he will not be able to login using Cisco VPN Client software.

Unfortunately, no. You can define a "banner" text in the group policy but that will only be shown when the user successfully connects. When the user is denied access (because of the time-range or any other restriction in the group-policy) then he does not get to see this banner.

I was thinking of a way to achieve something similar, which would involve using ACS (which can assign different policy settings depending on the time of day) and creating an "AccessDenied" group-policy which the user can login to (so he gets to see the banner) but where he cannot do anything because a vpn-filter denies all access to the network. Let me know if you'd like to discuss that in more detail, but this requires ACS (or possibly another Radius server), it will not work with Local authentication.

regards

Herbert

dianewalker
Level 1
Level 1

Herbert,

Is it possible to setup both Radius authentication and Active Directory authentication on the ASA?  For example, if Radius server fails, we want the users to authenticate through Active Directory.

Thanks.

Diane

Hello Diane,

sorry, no, you cannot use LDAP as a fallback in case Radius fails.

Per tunnel-group you can only define a single AAA server-group, and for redundancy you can define 2 (or more) Radius servers in a group, or 2 (or more) LDAP servers, but not a mix.

You may want to look into Internet Authentication Service (IAS) on Win2003 or Network Policy Server (NPS) on Win2008 which are Microsoft implementations of  Radius.

The only alternative I see for you is that you define 2 tunnel-groups, one with Radius auth and the other with LDAP auth. In this case your users will have the choice of which one to connect to though, you cannot force the LDAP group to be inaccessible when the Radius server is reachable.

I hope this helps, let me know!

regards

Herbert

Herbert,

Thanks for your response.

You said:  "Per tunnel-group you can only define a single AAA server-group, and for redundancy you can define 2 (or more) Radius servers in a group, or 2 (or more) LDAP servers, but not a mix."

For redundancy, we can setup 2 or more Radius servers in a group.  Is this for Load Balancing?  I see the command "VPN Load-Balancing"  Is it possible to setup failover for Radius servers in a group?  For example, if the Primary Radius server fails, the Secondary Radius server takes over automatically.  What is the command to setup failover for Radius servers in a group?

By the way, this Q&A will end tomorrow, December 22.  If we have more questions, which forum can we post the questions?

Thanks.

Diane

Hi Diane

when you configure an aaa-server-group and add more than one server to it, they will not be used in a load-balancing fashion but in a failover setup.

So as long as the first server responds it is considered "active" and only this server is used for AAA. As soon as the server stops responding a few times in a row it is considered "failed" and the second server is used, and so on.

This is highly configurable, e.g. you can customize how long the ASA waits for a response, how many times a server needs to fail before it goes to failed state, how a server moves back from failed state to active state (either after 30 seconds, or only after all servers are in failed state).

One important thing to note is that the second (and third etc) server is only contacted when the first one does not respond. When the first server does respond and the response is an Access-Reject (because the user is unknown or the password is incorrect) then the ASA will honor that response and it will not try the second server.

In other words, the Radius servers should have identical user databases, you cannot use this mechanism when each Radius server knows only half of the userbase.

VPN load balancing is a whole different story - this means using 2 or more ASA's in parallel. To explain very briefly, one of these ASA's will be the 'master' listening to a 'virtual ip address' that the clients connect to. The master then redirects the client to the actual ip address of one of the ASA's in the cluster (including itself). This allows you to scale your vpn solution beyond the capacity of a single ASA.

After today if you have more questions about VPN on ASA (or VPN in general) you are welcome to start a new "discussion" in the forum. For questions about the Cisco ACS (Cisco's AAA server) like "how do I configure ACS to ..." or about AAA protocols themselves I rather recommend the forum.

Thank you for your contributions to this event!

regards

Herbert

bhupendrasiyag
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Herbert,

I found all your responses quite appropriate and knowledgeable. I feel at ease with all the command-sets once I'm clear at concepts. So, I just wanted to know if there is some simple conceptual approach towards regex expressions because that's something we can't look up like all other commands using the well-appreciated '?'.

Any short and illustrative enough example or some memory trick will be most welcome. (or else/and what exact path to follow on the support documents to look up the most comprehensive set of regex expressions "in the search-disabled environments")

Regards,

Bhupendra

prima.ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Herbert,

I have few question for you:

1. I have been using ACS for authenticating VPN remote access user on  Cisco ASA. I bind the username with the tunnel using Cisco VPN  3000/ASA/PIX 7.x+ RADIUS VSA no 85 (Tunnel-Group-Lock) so that a  particular host can only be used to authenticate a particular tunnel  group/vpn tunnel on Cisco ASA. Say that user A can only be used for  tunnel A, user B can only be used for tunnel B, and so on and so forth.  The issue now is I want a user to be able to be used for two VPN tunnel,  say user A can be used for tunnel A and B, but not tunnel C. Does any  of you know how to implement this? I tried to manipulate the argument  for the attribute using REGEX, but no use. also tried to change the VSA  so it can be used twice to accomodate the tunnel, but no use also since  the first will always takes place.

2. How to do low level debugging on Cisco ACS? I want to see the step by step communication between Cisco ACS and Cisco ASA during remote access vpn authentication process specially how the RADIUS attribute is exhanged (since I am using attribute 85, but I want to see other attribute).

3. Do you have any documentation regarding RADIUS and TACACS attribute that gives explanation on how the attribute is used and how to configure it on the network devices? I have found a Cisco documentation on RADIUS attribute, but it only defines what the attribute is without explaining how it works or at least how to configure it on the related device.

4. Do you know how to change the default gateway of a remote access client? So far, I notice that when I use VPN, my default gateway is always the first IP address of the pool. For example if I specify the pool 192.168.0.0/24 for a tunnel group, all VPN users will get a default gateway 192.168.0.1. Can we change this? Maybe ACS can push an attribute for this one?

Thanks a lot.

Prima

Hi all,

I came across this pretty interesting situation while implementing an experiment.

Topology is like this:

R1 ------serial-------- R2 --------------serial -------------- R3

/    \

/      \

/        \

/          \

Fast       Fast

Ethernet     Ethernet

/                \

/                  \

SW1             SW2

And the switchports are in routed mode and in the same subnet and to achieve this, the ports connected to switches are bridged(using IRB).

Now when I created two zones and put one fastethernet and one serial interface in zone 'Inside' and the rest in zone 'Outside' and applied the inspection, Transparent ZBF works fine for the switches and ZBF works as much for the routers.

My question is: Can we somehow get the firewall to do inspection between L2 and L3 ports? To be more specific, since my interface connected to SW1 is in Inside zone and that connected to R2 is in Outside zone, can I inspect the traffic flowing from SW1 to R2 or even get the trafffic running through after applying ZBF. (It worked pretty well before admitting the interfaces to zones as the routers could ping and telnet to the switches and all the nodes here share the same routing table even after applying ZBF, which is actually raising my hope )

Regards,

Bhupendra

Hi Bhupendra,

since your questions are not related to AAA or VPN on ASA, which is the subject of this Ask-The-Expert session, I kindly ask you to start a new discussion thread in the appropriate forum, e.g. for this ZBF question please post in the forum.

regards

Herbert

Hi Prima,

ok, let's address your questions one by one:

Tunnel-Group-Lock can indeed only be used with 1 tunnel-group.

Allowing a user to connect to 2 (or more) groups is going to be more difficult. The only way I can think of to achieve this is by using DAP (Dynamic Access Policies).

DAP rules (in ASDM: configuration - Remote Access VPN - Network (client) Access - Dynamic Access Policies) consist of a set of selection criteria, and a set of attributes that are assigned if the criteria are met.

In other words, you can think of each DAP rule as an "IF (criteria) THEN (apply these attributes)".

So in your example, you could do something like:

IF cisco.username = userA  AND  cisco.tunnelgroup = tunnelC

THEN action = terminate

And in the default rule, keep the default action = continue.

Then for userA, do not push any Tunnel-Group-Lock attribute.

On ACS, there is a file named RDS.log if I remember correctly but I'd have to look it up.

It's probably easier though to use "debug radius all" on the ASA, this will show you the entire Radius exchange including all attributes.

3. Sorry, apart from the list of attributes that is in the Configuration Guide, I don't know of any public documentation describing the attributes. Each attribute however corresponds to a setting in the group-policy, so you could check the Command Reference for all the group-policy commands (e.g. Tunnel-Group-Lock corresponds to group-lock).

4. The default gw on the client is just a "dummy" address, it is not used for anything. And hence there should also be no reason to change it. Unless of course, you have a reason that I have not considered, please let me know.

regards

Herbert

Pavel Nosov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Herbert,

Currently we are using LDAP authentication for Anyconnect users, and an LDAP attribute map to assign different settings depending on which AD group the user belongs to (i.e. map the memberOf attribute to a group-policy).

Now we're thinking of implementing a one-time-password (OTP) solution which would be using Radius. If we do that can we also still use LDAP or is there an alternative to achieve the same functionality?

Thanks,

- Pavel

Hello Pavel,

for Anyconnect and for clientless webvpn there are 2 things you can do (for Cisco VPN client only the first option applies):

1- Remove LDAP authentication, configure RADIUS authentication, and add LDAP authorization.

In this scenario, the user enters his username and his Radius password / OTP.

The ASA then first authenticates the user using Radius, and when successful, it will do an LDAP user lookup. This second step is not an authentication step (the user never enters his AD password), it's just retrieving a list of attributes from the LDAP server.

Note that in this scenario, the usernames on the OTP/Radius server have to be the same as in AD/LDAP because the user only enters one username, and this is used for both the authentication (Radius) and authorization (LDAP) steps.

or

2- (not for IPsec IKEv1) Use double authentication, i.e. keep your LDAP as primary authentication, and add the Radius as secondary authentication. The user will be prompted to enter his Radius username, Radius password (OTP), LDAP username and LDAP password (or if "use-primary-username" is enabled, only one username and 2 passwords).

The ASA will then first perform the LDAP authentication, if successful perform the Radius authentication next, and only if both are successful the user is granted access.

In both scenarios, Radius attributes will override group-policy settings (but in the case of an OTP server support for Radius attributes is usually very limited or non-existent), and LDAP attributes can be used in an attribute map. Both Radius and LDAP attributes can also be used in DAP rules.

I hope this helps, don't hestitate to post any follow up questions.

regards

Herbert

epalma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have ASA 5510 ver 8.0(5)

We are having some VPN site-to-site  desconnection problem, the VPN were working ok, but now the connection are not stabished, we getting this log messages:

ASA01-BA-TC# sh log

Syslog logging: enabled

Facility: 20

Timestamp logging: enabled

Standby logging: disabled

Debug-trace logging: disabled

Console logging: list autenticaion, 19319 messages logged

Monitor logging: disabled

Buffer logging: list autenticaion, 19319 messages logged

Trap logging: disabled

History logging: disabled

Device ID: disabled

Mail logging: disabled

ASDM logging: level warnings, 138091 messages logged

licy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:17: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:19: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.7.169

Dec 21 2011 06:50:19: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.7.169, Username = 186.24.7.169, IP = 186.24.7.169, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:20: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:20: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:21: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 200.11.194.10

Dec 21 2011 06:50:21: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 200.11.194.10, Username = 200.11.194.10, IP = 200.11.194.10, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:24: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:24: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:46: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 200.11.194.10

Dec 21 2011 06:50:46: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 200.11.194.10, Username = 200.11.194.10, IP = 200.11.194.10, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:47: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:47: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:48: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.7.169

Dec 21 2011 06:50:49: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.7.169, Username = 186.24.7.169, IP = 186.24.7.169, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:50: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:50: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:51: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 200.11.194.10

Dec 21 2011 06:50:51: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 200.11.194.10, Username = 200.11.194.10, IP = 200.11.194.10, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:50:55: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.1.49

Dec 21 2011 06:50:55: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.1.49, Username = 186.24.1.49, IP = 186.24.1.49, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:51:16: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 200.11.194.10

Dec 21 2011 06:51:16: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 200.11.194.10, Username = 200.11.194.10, IP = 200.11.194.10, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Dec 21 2011 06:51:18: %ASA-6-113009: AAA retrieved default group policy (DfltGrpPolicy) for user = 186.24.7.169

Dec 21 2011 06:51:19: %ASA-4-113019: Group = 186.24.7.169, Username = 186.24.7.169, IP = 186.24.7.169, Session disconnected. Session Type: IKE, Duration: 0h:00m:00s, Bytes xmt: 0, Bytes rcv: 0, Reason: Unknown

Hello epalma,

from the syslogs it's not clear what exactly is causing this, since the disconnect reason is shown as "unknown". I suggest enabling "debug crypto isakmp 10" and "debug crypto ipsec 10" and checking the debug output for clues on what the problem may be. If this does not help, since this issue is not related to the topic of this Ask-The-Expert event, I would kindly ask you to start a new discussion in the forum if you need further assistance.

Good luck

Herbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: