cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authorization vs Authentication ??

TimACOX33
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3005 Concentrator and am currently Authenticating users (using the Cisco VPN client software) vs MS Active Directory on 2003 Server. However, authentication doesn't examine whether or not the user has been granted the rights to Remote Access. That means anyone with an active account in AD gets authenticated and thus granted remote access, even when not granted that right explicitly in AD. How do I get granular control so I can stop an individual user from getting authentication, and thus remote access? Is this what an Authorization server does? Do I need to setup my AD server to take LDAP requests for Authorization as well as performing Authentication?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wyatts
Level 1
Level 1

Authorization authorizes specific commands per user.

What you're looking for is RAUDIUS authentication through an IAS Server. IAS, by default requires the user to have Remote access allowed before it passes the authentication.

Install IAS, setup the 3005 to use the IAS server for authentication, and you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

wyatts
Level 1
Level 1

Authorization authorizes specific commands per user.

What you're looking for is RAUDIUS authentication through an IAS Server. IAS, by default requires the user to have Remote access allowed before it passes the authentication.

Install IAS, setup the 3005 to use the IAS server for authentication, and you should be good to go.

I think I understand what you're saying. I don't have a spare server just for IAS and would prefer not to install it on my limited network just for this. Are you saying I can't achieve my goal with just the 3005 and an AD server already in place? That seems crazy.

Yes, that is what he is saying. Very simple.

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

IAS is an option on all Windows servers. You can install IAS on your AD server that you already have.

Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> Netowrking Services -> Internet Authentication Service

Install that. You'll need to configure your IAS server a bit, but IAS is what you're looking for.

OK. Thanks much for your help. I initially thought you meant ISA server, which I definitely don't want in the picture. I looked up IAS server and think it's fine. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: