cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Autoinitiation - VPN Client Software

R.Siripan
Level 1
Level 1

been trying to make an autoinitiation from the client side to auto reconnect to ASA's VPN concentrator. I put these lines into vpnclent.ini and accroding to the document this should work when connection drop but the software seem not even try to reconnect, do i have to checnge anything on ASA side?

AutoInitiationEnable=1

AutoInitiationRetryLimit=50

AutoInitiationRetryIntervalType=1

AutoInitiationRetryInterval=10

Thanks

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I think you will find that the auto initiation feature is used for Wi-Fi connections. Ideally when you are allocated a specific IP DHCP address.

NOT from when a connection drops, see the below url:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client46/administration/guide/vcAch4.html

HTH>

Hi,

Yes I been read at a similar url:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client500_501/administration/5vcAch7.html

"It is worth mentioning that although auto initiation was designed for wireless environments, you can use it in any networking environment. Auto initiation provides a generic way for the VPN Client to auto initiate a connection whether the VPN Client PC is based on specific networks or not. "

Could you be more specidif of what you means by "NOT from when a connection drops" please,

Thanks

In your original post and I quote "been trying to make an autoinitiation from the client side to auto reconnect to ASA's VPN concentrator."

I bring the attention to "auto reconnect to ASA's VPN concentrator" this is not what the autoinitiation is designed around. It's designed for the wireless invironment to make it secure, however I have used it when machine connect to a network NOT in my company IP address space.

Unless you either posted your original question incorrectly or I mis-understood, you are looking for the client to auto-reconnect a session after it drops. If so - this is not possible.

I might post incorrect topic here.

I would like to find out how to / posibility to auto-reconnect to corparate network when connection drops using cisco VPN client software? or any software that can do?

I know that you can script and monitoring ping to corprate network , then restart the client service and auto launch the VPN client to get a connection back automatially.

Ideally woule like to search a clever way to auto-reconnect to ASA VPN from any software.

Personally I would not do this, as when the machine is left unattended and connected via remote VPN - you have no idea who is on the PC connected into your protected network.

The cisco client/ASA has no auto-reconnect feature. There are probably a number of clever ways to do this - I have no idea, I suggest you search in google.

we know the AnyConnect Product can do auto-reconnect, but they license differently!

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/Auto-Reconnect-with-Cisco-AnyConnect-VPN.html

Indeed!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: