Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup ASA configuration using ASDM

sapinder83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to backup ASA confifuration using ASDM: tools>backup configurtaion.

will I be able to restore this saved configuration on new ASA and run that new ASA??

I just want to confirm before doing it to avoid any loss of configuration.

Please advise for this.

Thanks,

Sap

6 Replies 6

while backing up you are asked what you want to backup. Select all that you need and a restore should work (on a same model ASA with same licensing).

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCsr31403

Value our effort and rate the assistance!

Thanks Karsten,

yes, it is same model for ASA.What do you mean by same licensing??

I got new ASA 5505, do I have to activate license for this ASA??

Thanks,

Sap

yes, it is same model for ASA.What do you mean by same licensing??

I got new ASA 5505, do I have to activate license for this ASA??

The licensing is bound to the serial number and not automatically present on the new ASA. So if your old ASA is for example a Security-Plus, and you restore the config to an ASA that only has the Base-license, then your trunk-config can't be restored because the Base-license doesn't know anything about trunks. Same for all other features that need a specific license. In that case you have to make sure that the new ASA also has a SecurityPlus license.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks Karsten,

The licensing is bound to the serial number and not automatically present on the new ASA.

I know new ASA with security plus bundle but how can I activate this license as you said license is bound to serial number?? do I need to activate or just program new ASA and use??

Thanks very much for helping me out.

Sap

If the new ASA has also a SecPlus, then that is ok. Did you activate any individual licenses on the old ASA? Like AnyConnect, botnet and so on? if yes, write a mail to licensing@cisco.com. If not, your are good to go.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: