cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Be careful with your VPN 3000 XML configs

ddawson
Level 1
Level 1

I recently discovered that there is no option for encrypting the various passwords in the configuration of a VPN 3000 series concentrator if you choose to export the config to an XML file. However, there is such an option for the plain text version of the config, but the documentation doesn't mention anything about the XML file so I had assumed this option applied to the XML file as well. It doesn't. So, if you use the XML version of the config file for backing up your configuration and you assumed your passwords were being encrypted, be careful with how you manage the XML files.

I've opened a case with Cisco on this, but it's not considered a bug or security vulnerability and therefore requires a "Feature Request" to be changed (which I'm working on submitting), so it may or may not ever be "fixed".

I thought people here might want to know about this, since I was surprised to discover this behavior.

2 Replies 2

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

pix configs too - pix OS, IIRC, still uses a weaker hashing routine than the secret routine that IOS uses.

xmwu
Level 1
Level 1

I found this on 4.1 version. And doc on xml management is very weak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: