cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Ping past gateway

Shaun McCloud
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I am having a grand old time on this issue.

I can not seem to ping past my gateway on my outside interface no matter what I change. (well if I change the device to a pc then I can ping out)      

I can not ping the ASA from the outside either. It is as if the default route is not working but I don't know a way to double check it, other then verify it in the config. The ARP table also does not show any outside address, so any help you can offer would be great!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Looking at your "outside" interface configuration it would seem to me that you are using the Network/Subnet Address as the gateway IP address for the default route.

It seems to me that if your ASAs IP address is .89 then your gateway should be .90 as .88 is the Network/Subnet address and the .91 is the Broadcast Address.

Network x.x.x.88/30

• x.x.x.88 = Network Address
  • x.x.x.89 = ASA Address
  • x.x.x.90 = Gateway Address
  • x.x.x.91 = Broadcast Address

Or is the gateway perhaps .89 and the ASA should be using .90?

So can you try to change the default route configuration and then see if everything works and if you can see something in the ARP of the "outside" interface.

route Outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.90 1

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Looking at your "outside" interface configuration it would seem to me that you are using the Network/Subnet Address as the gateway IP address for the default route.

It seems to me that if your ASAs IP address is .89 then your gateway should be .90 as .88 is the Network/Subnet address and the .91 is the Broadcast Address.

Network x.x.x.88/30

• x.x.x.88 = Network Address
  • x.x.x.89 = ASA Address
  • x.x.x.90 = Gateway Address
  • x.x.x.91 = Broadcast Address

Or is the gateway perhaps .89 and the ASA should be using .90?

So can you try to change the default route configuration and then see if everything works and if you can see something in the ARP of the "outside" interface.

route Outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.90 1

- Jouni

Man I hate Comcast at the moment. Working with them now to get it resolved.

Will update as soon as I have confermation.

(thanks for the quick reply)

That was the issue. Thanks!