cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't use AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on wifi

char_leopard
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies for my technical ignorance if this sounds a bit basic.

I use AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN client.

On my old macbook (OS X 10.5) I was able to connect to a wifi network in my school (public network which requires login through a mobile phone-generated password). Then I would start up my CISCO VPN and be able to use it for about 10 minutes before the connection would drop and I would have to reconnect.

I now am using a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.7.2) and AnyConnect Secure Mobility client (Version 3.0.3050).

Once I have connected to the wifi network on this computer, I open AnyConnect, it tells me it is connecting (before I get to the "log-in" bit) and then just gets stuck there. I can leave it for 30 minutes and it just gets stuck and I never see the "log-in" page. I then have to force quit the programme and just use wifi without VPN (a big problem for me). What is worse, if I then switch off the wifi and use my ethernet cable connection to the school's internet, after that, the VPN won't work either (it does the same as just described). However, if I restart my computer (or leave it off for some time and then restart) and HAVEN'T tried to use the wifi at all and JUST use the ethernet cable (school's network) immediately, then I can start up the VPN and it works perfectly.

What is happening here? Is it something to do with the version of AnyConnect SM VPN I have? Something to do with my network settings that I could try changing?

I hope you understand this detailed explanation here.

I really just want to know how I can use AnyConnect VPN on a public wifi connection, as I used to before (even if that meant having to reconnect every 10 minutes - I prefer that to not being able to connect at all!)

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

5 Replies 5

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

what are you connecting to?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I am connecting to a public free wifi network (similar to what you might find in an airport) - it's provided by a local Mobile phone company here - I have a contract with them, so I get free wifi on their network - I just have to pop in my mobile phone number and password.

I hope that's clear - sorry I'm so confident with using technical language!

Cheers

yes but the any connect client is used to connect to an Asa security device. What is the configuration on that device?

I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what the configuration is... I am connecting to a network at my university in Oxford (from China) (I guess that's where the Asa security device is but I have no idea. Unfortunately my supervisor there is in Africa at the moment and I can't ask him for some more info for another week. Can I not do anything without that information?

Thank you for your time

you're trying to make a VPN connection from china to a university in England? Good luck with that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: