OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
The message I get is: Failed to install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.04063 because the AnyConnect client service is not responding. A VPN connection cannot be established.
I have been working on this for several weeks. I have de-installed VPN, removed all CISCO folders and removed all registry entries. I tried all three major browsers downloading it from my work site.
I have another Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine (fresh install) and it does download and install the software correctly. So it is not Anitvirus or Firewall as both machines are plugged into the same router.
The software reports that it was not installed, but the executable is there and the service is there, but I can't start it.
What other information do I need to provide to help troubleshoot this issue?
What I did was: de-install VPN and rebooted.
Reboot the computer into safe mode with command prompt
Change C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts to hosts.old.
Rebooted to normal mode
I use Spybot Search and Destroy all the time on all my comptuers and it does not seem to affect running VPN once it is installed. However it does seem to have an issue with trying to install it.
Thanks, Dan Flak, but unfortunately did not work for me. After following your steps, I get to
Failed to install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.02040. A VPN connection cannot be established.
Same old thing!
Finally got it working.
Didn't really do anything completely different, just re-ran this process:
First, re-name hosts file and reboot.
1. Uninstall AnyConnect completely.
2. Disable all anti-virus (in my case, Webroot SecureAnywhere)
3. Reinstall using anyconnect-win-3.1.01065-pre-deploy-k9.msi
4. Program installed, performed update, and worked.
I've seemed to have taken a step backwards. I got it up and running then reinstalled Spybot Search and Destroy. The problem is with the hosts file. I had two versions: one was 450K the other was 900K. The 900K version was a result of an import of sites so as to stop ads from showing when I browsed. Somehow this version re-established itself as the hosts file.
Also what happened is that I could not launch IE. I had to fall back to the last system restore point which was the installation of VPN. So it got uninstalled.
I have since cleaned out all of the 900K backup versions of the hosts files, but following my own instructions, I can't get it to install. Same error message. The first time I had success, I did not have to turn off anti-virus. However, I decided to try your method and I still get the same error message.
I do think it is somehow tied up with the hosts file and with the services. I don't know how the two are related.
If I ever get it working again, I will make a system restore point immediately.
I did not follow through enough. It failed to install using the remote site, but it did install using anyconnect-win-3.1.04063-web-deploy-k9.exe that I had kept on my hard drive . I've made my system restore point and I will reboot and add spybot back in. Keeping the fingers crossed.
This is a recap Thanks Steve for confirming.
The issue I had was caused by some entries in the hosts file. I had imported a whole bunch of URLs to block ads from tracking me on the web. One of those 15,000 entries is interfering with the Cisco installation. Fortunately I had an older version of hosts files before the import and used it. The good hosts file was created by Spybot S&D V 1.6.
First attempt to install the package by logging in to the remote site. If you are using IE, it will first try to install it using Active X, then it will attempt to install it using Java, finally it will offer a link to download an executable with a name similar to anyconnect-win-3.1.04063-web-deploy-k9.exe. Save this executable.
1. Uninstall AnyConnect completely
2. Remove the hosts file.
3. (Optional) copy and rename last good hosts file backup to hosts.
4. (Optional) disable anti-virus (unlike Steve, I did not have to disable AV to get it to install)
5. Install AnyConnect from the downloaded executable.
Just a note that 3.1.04066 is available. Check the release notes as you may want to upgrade. We had some connectivity and installation problems with 4063, which were corrected with 4066.
Update on this issue. It seems to be related to the hosts file generated by Spybot Search & Destroy. I used Excel to do a binary search to figure out whch of hte 1,500+ entries was causing the problem. There were none. However, when I was done, I found that VPN launched just fine even though all original entries were there.
So I decided that it might be the format of the file that might be the issue. I ran spybot again and got my origninal error. I rebooted the computer and opened the hosts file in MS-Word and saved it as text. Then I launched VPN again and it worked.
I don't know if the spybot-produced hosts file is missing an end-of-file marker or if it is some other issue. I might try making a bat file that does echo "" >> etc/hosts to see if I can force one in there.