Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1841 router

praveen.dharne
Level 1
Level 1

hello sir

i had a cisco 1841 router with IOS software version c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin" Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0)my VPN is not working on this router, can u pls guide me whether it will require a different IOS on this Cisco 1841 router so that i can start the VPN client through this router.also it will be better if u give me the detail about how to configure this router for VPN.waiting for your favourable reply.

Thanking you,

Praveen

15 Replies 15

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Praveen,

You need to run, either one of these two images.

ADVANCED IP SERVICES

ADVANCED SECURITY

This will enable your router for VPN services. Caution: Please make sure you have enough memory and flash for these images on your router before upgrading.

To configure VPN client connections on this router, please read the sample configuration given below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_configuration_example09186a00801c4246.shtml

Rate this topic, if it helps.

Thanks

Gilbert

hello sir,

Thanks for replying ,thatmeans i will not require to buy any hardware module for VPN feature only i have to upgrade this IOS on cisco 1841 router right.can u tell me what will be the flash name of this IOS and from where will i get this IOSsoftware whether i have to purchase this IOS or this is the free download .

actually my scenario is my vpn server is in the remote location and from where the VPN client are getting connected to server here there is a cisco 1841 router and on this cisco 1841 router i want the VPN feature to enable.

my Routers memory is as follows

114688K/16384K bytes of memory,will the new IOS can be installed on this router.

waiting for ur reply.

Thanking you

Praveen

Praveen,

a. You would need the VPN feature set on your router even to run the VPN module. So, do not worry about the VPN module at the moment.

b. You can go to www.cisco.com and click on Support --> software download and get the software for your specific router and the version you need.

c. If you go to the download section of the page, you will see the names.

d. IF you have a contract with Cisco and the router is tied into the contract, then you can download that image using your CCO login ID for free.

e. Since VPN softwares are cryptographic images, you might have to sign in a cryptographic form to download the image.

f. When you go to the software download and click on the image you want to download, it will say the required memory and flash needed. Compare and do the math with you have in the router.

g. I do not completely understand your scenario.

You want the VPN clients installed on a PC to connect to a Cisco IOS server? IS that correct? If so, the previous post was sent a link on how to configure this on the router.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Gilbert

Rate this post, please!!

hello

1st i use to coneect with the VPN client through broadband router but now they had purchased the cisco 1841 router and they r using the lease line now so when i m connecting using the VPN client it does not authenticate the user ,so when i checked the configuration through SDM(security device manager)and when i clicked on VPN option it shows the msg VPN feature is not supportable on this IOS .

waiting for ur reply.

Thanking you

Praveen

Question 1:

IS this a new implementation

Question 2:

What was the previous implementation you mentioned. Give me a ASCII diagram.

Question 3:

Look at the ASCII diagram given below and let me know if this is how you want it to work.

VPN client ---Internet---Cisco 1841 Router

Is this your setup.

Thanks

Gilbert

this is my setup

VPN client-----cisco 1841 router---internet----application

Hi Praveen,

Has the headend router changed meaning did you connect your VPN client to a different hardware box earlier?

If yes then then there is a possibility that it does not have the crypto image running. For confirmation do a show version and you should see something like :

System image file is "flash:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

I'm interested to know what you see here.

HTH,

Kamal.

Kamal - Didnt you read the whole thread?

Praveen stated that through SDM he was able to identify that he wasnt running a VPN supported IOS.

Thanks

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

I did read the whole thread but before suggesting a code change, wanted to confirm it was the headend box.

Thanks,

Kamal

flash:c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin" Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.

just i want to know which IOS will be required here can u pls give me the name of Cisco IOS which i shuld install .and also the detail configuration of this scenario.

thanks

Praveen

c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-1c.bin - Would be the IOS.

this is the crypto IOS right and will support VPN feature ok , can u do one favour for me can u give me the detailed configuration of this router.

Thanks

Praveen

Kamal Malhotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Praveen,

You need a different image depending on the memory available.

Regards,

Kamal

Hi Praveen,

I had posted the message when there was no post from Gilbert.

I also looked at you post with the topology. Is it fair to say that the 1841 router is not the headend device rather a passthrough? Meaning, that the VPN connection does not terminate on this 1841 router. If it does then you need to upgrade else not. More important thing to look into here is what the logs say when you try to connect and if there are any access-groups configured on the router. Would it be possible for you to send the running configuration of the router for analysis?

Regards,

Kamal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: