Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Anconnect VPN Deployment

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an enquiry regarding the deployment for ASA that need to support more than 10000 clients. I understand that multiple ASA would be required for it however I was wondering what may be the typical design for it? Should the multiple ASA be setup as vpn cluster/load balancing/etc...?

It would be appreciated if there are any design document for it. The present setup is a pair of ASA active/standby was wondering on how to combine the total connection if I require 15000 vpn connections; example 2 pairs of active/standby with vpn clustering/load balancing/etc...?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are right, the vpn-loadbalancing is the technologie you should deploy for that. With that you can combine multiple devices to a load-sharing cluster. These devices can be different, for example two 5555 with two 5545 which would give you atotal of 15000 VPN-connections.
Of course you should plan for device-failure. So you could deploy 4*5555 and also if one ASA is lost you still have 15000 connections (well, at least based on the data-sheet; I wouldn't push the amount of connections to the limit).
For redundancy you could also deploy these devices also as FO-systems. 3*2*5555 would also give you redundancy.

This is all under the assumption that the users connect to the same office where the ASAs have a L2-connection to each other which is needed for VPN-loadbalancing. If the users connect through different locations, then these ASAs can't use VPN-loadbalancing unless you have a L2 connection between the loacations.

If you have multiple locations you should also think about the shared-license server which could save a lot of money if your users don't always use the same gateway.

And the last point: configure as much as possible for your AAA with a central RADIUS-server to reduce the probability of misconfiguration on multiple ASAs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

You are right, the vpn-loadbalancing is the technologie you should deploy for that. With that you can combine multiple devices to a load-sharing cluster. These devices can be different, for example two 5555 with two 5545 which would give you atotal of 15000 VPN-connections.
Of course you should plan for device-failure. So you could deploy 4*5555 and also if one ASA is lost you still have 15000 connections (well, at least based on the data-sheet; I wouldn't push the amount of connections to the limit).
For redundancy you could also deploy these devices also as FO-systems. 3*2*5555 would also give you redundancy.

This is all under the assumption that the users connect to the same office where the ASAs have a L2-connection to each other which is needed for VPN-loadbalancing. If the users connect through different locations, then these ASAs can't use VPN-loadbalancing unless you have a L2 connection between the loacations.

If you have multiple locations you should also think about the shared-license server which could save a lot of money if your users don't always use the same gateway.

And the last point: configure as much as possible for your AAA with a central RADIUS-server to reduce the probability of misconfiguration on multiple ASAs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: