cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX-515E Reset

drevans112
Level 1
Level 1

We recently moved offices and as part of the move have found an unused PIX-515E. It was simply the box without any cables, documentation or software.

I would like to be able to reset it and configure it for use. However, it would appear it has been previously configured and therefore no longer on the default IP address.

How can I find out what IP number it is currently configured for or how can I reset it to default settings?

I am unfamiliar with Cisco hardware and having read through some documentation I found on line it would appear I need to enter "Monitor" mode which as far as I can gather it entered using the console port. However, the documentation I have found so far simply says connect the firewall to a PC with terminal software using the console port. Is the console cable a simple network cable and what does it plug into on the PC? How do I configure the PC to talk to the firewall? How do I find out which version of the PIX 515E it is (Unrestricted/Restricted etc.)?

Thanks in advance

Darren

4 Replies 4

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

The console cable is a "rollover" pinout meaning 1 to 8, 2 to 7, 3 to 6 and so on. It connects to a com port on a PC via a db9 adapter. If you are using a modern laptop you will likely need a usb to db9 serial adapter. Once you have this connection, you can use hyperterminal or whatever terminal software you like to connect to the pix. You will they need to power cycle the device and press the space bar as instructed to interrupt the boot process. This will put you in a "monitor" mode. This link will provide handy guides for the rest.

HTH pls rate!

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

You will need a Cisco console cable and HyperTerminal @9600. Unless you can guess the password you will need to do password recovery: watch it boot up and note the software version, then refer to the link below for that process.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

Thanks for the responses, the replies pointed me in the right direction.

I found a document on line (finding stuff seems to be more luck that judgement on this site) which detailed "quick setup". I found that I needed a blue cable and a DB9 comm port (mentioned in one of the replies). Well, by luck, after a lot of rummaging I found the cable and it had been left plugged into the adapter. It was then easy to connect up to the PIX using HyperTerminal.

The link provided to the reset password documentation was invaluable. And now after a "Configure Terminal" and "Clear Configure All" I'm back to a clean system

Cheers

Darren

Darren,

Sorry I forgot to paste the link in my post earlier. :P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: