cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SA520 VPN, Quck VPN/SSL VPN alternative

perpaal
Level 1
Level 1
Hi I have a Cisco SA520, where I have used the SSL client for remote users. Now the SSL client is becoming useless, as different Java and browser updates seems to have broken it for most of my remote users. Tried the QuickVPN Client, but also here I`m having trouble. This works on some installations, on others it just stops at "connecting" and nothing more happens. What is my best option here to have a system that works on all windows clients? Any way to set this router up to use the standard windows PPTP client? Please link to a detailed howto :)
3 Replies 3

As EOL of the device is anounced, I wouldn't expect that the native-VPNs will get any better. And if it's based on Java, it only can become worse.

But PPTP is not the solution as this protocol has to be considered as "nearly cleartext". If you wan't to protect company-data it's time to dump that device and replace it with something more actual. But as far as I know, there is not much available for that in the Cisco Small-Business portfolio ...

Hi. Thank you for your input. It is not long since we bough the device, a couple of years tops. No way to continue using this, maybe IPsec with windows client? Have tried to set it up, but without success, anybody know of a good guide, or if its even possible?

It is not long since we bough the device, a couple of years tops

With the small business-equipment, there has been much disapointment in the market regarding long-time support. Just think about the ISA500 (which is the follow-up model to your SA500) which was discontinued shortly after it went to the market. And people bought it with three or five-years subscription ...

If you want to have a longer usage of your investment, the non small-business equipment is probably a better choice. But also there we will probably see shorter lifetimes in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: