cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client Compatability for winXP 64 bit

gopikrish
Level 1
Level 1

Does any body have idea about the Cisco VPN client compatability for windows 64 bit XP machines.

14 Replies 14

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gopi,

The software VPN client is not supported under 64-bit OS yet. Please refer the below URL for details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/prod_release_note09186a00806eb4ed.html

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Hi Arul,

Thanks for information

does it possible to use anyother VPN client instead of cisco one because we can some users

using winXP 64 bit machines and they also want to connect VPN any alternative solution

Thanks in advance

Arul, I didn't see anything in that link that mentioned XP 64-bit, except to repeat what you said about the existing 32-bit version not supporting XP 64-bit.

We just emailed our company's Cisco partner about this, and he says he doesn't think Cisco has any plans to release a 64-bit version for either XP or Vista. Surely that isn't accurate--you're use of "yet" implies it is at least being considered, if not in development. If Cisco is planning to release a 64-bit version, when will it be released? The world is quickly moving to 64-bit SMP systems; my company will no longer purchase anything with a 32-bit processor, and we plan to quickly migrate to 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and/or XP, but we can't do this if our VPN users don't have a 64-bit VPN client. So, when will Cisco join us in the 21st century?

I know this question borders on violating your Acceptable Use Policy in asking about unreleased products, but this is a critical issue for our business, which is a stated purpose of this forum, according to the AUP. Please pardon me if I'm wrong.

It IS hard to believe that the Cisco VPN Client doesn't / won't support XP64, but we found out the hard way that it doesn't; after we had deployed Core2Duo with XP64. And when we reported to Cisco that the VPN Client didn't work with XP64, we were told that is the way it is and the way it will remain. So we are exploring our options as we will not retreat from XP64 / Vista.

Excuse me but 64-bit Operating Systems are very common today and with all future revisions of every OS (Linux RedHat SuSe Whatever, Windows, Solaris, OES, Mac) having 64-bit versions available, when will we see a more robust VPN client that supports something other than Windows 32-bit and some ancient version of Red Hat that no one uses anymore??? Does Cisco have a development path to make this tool even remotely useful to companies with heterogeneous environments?

Give us a rough time-line for when we'll see a client for these Operating Systems:

Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edition (which is in full production and is fully supported by Microsoft)

SuSe 10 desktop and server (they'll have a 64-bit OS in production May 2007)

Vista 32+64-bit (in production Feb 2007)

A universal client for various Flavors of Linux 32+64-bit (in production since 2003)[not some kernel specific half-baked attempt]

Netware OES 6.6 or later (thought I would throw this one in just for grins)

Windows Server 2003 64-bit (also in production and supported)

Windows Server 2007 64-bit (in production July 2007)

If Cisco has no plan to support ALL of these operating systems please let us the consumers know (quickly, I personally don't have the patience for some belated bureaucratic answer) so we can start looking to other VPN solutions.

I've been extremely frustrated with Cisco's lack of support for the VPN client family, including Vista, Personal Firewall and 64-bit.

I've tried to stay away from RAS as a VPN solution, but Cisco isn't helping things any.

I'm also frustrated with Cisco's slow development for 64-bit architecture and lack of support for other operating systems, such as SuSe 10 and other Linux Flavors.

Should you hear of any developement plans or progress concerning Cisco's VPN Client please post it, as I've been trying to get a response of any kind from Cisco without any success.

Me too. I was shocked to find out my 64 bit XP os isn't supported. Can somebody at Cisco explain why this isn't going to be supported going forward?

1) Because Cisco is trying to ignore Vista and hope it goes away.

2) Because Cisco seems to do every software item except IOS poorly.

3) Because they are large enough that interoperability doesn't seem to be important.

pwillis43
Level 1
Level 1

Is there still no answer to whether or not Cisco will ever release VPN client for XP64?

This is getting downright ridiculous, Cisco. Not even a hint as to when we'll be able to expect 64-bit compatibility. How long has XP64 been out now??? I am getting more & more fed up with this company as time goes on...

Cisco apparently hates Microsoft so much they are not devoting any resources to 64-bit or Vista Client Firewall.

Somebody in Cisco strategy needs to go read Eric S. Raymond's article 'World Domination 201' about the strategic nature of 64-bitness, or their customers will go elsewhere.

Reference:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

Another "me too".

We have several 64-bit Vista deployments and will add more.

No more Cisco kit for us until this has been resolved. :(

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Though there will be no support for Windows XP 64-bit, the Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit editions will be supported in 5.0.7, now in public beta.

February 18, 2010
Due to popular demand, the Cisco VPN Client v5.0.7 open beta is now available!
In addition to serving as a general maintenance release, the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.7 beta is compatible with Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit environments. 
A 64-bit specific compatible image is available for installation on these platforms.

Please have communicate feedback (both positive and problems) to cvc-beta@cisco.com.

Key Capabilities available for Beta Testing:
New Platform support – Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit platform compatibility
Software Access: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730 (under 5.BETA)
Software is available for download by any customer with a Cisco.com SMARTnet™ enabled login.
Release Notes will be available next week via a link once the download image is selected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: