Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Cisco VPN Client installation freezes on Windows 7

I am in need of some help installing the Cisco VPN Client on a Windows 7 workstation.

Here are some details:

Cisco VPN Client Version:

Operation System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit, version 6.1, build 7600

PC Hardware: IBM Thinkpad T42, Type 2373-7WE

Issue Description:
I attempted to install the Cisco VPN Client on the computer with the local administrator account in Windows 7. The computer was given a clean installation of Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (Existing HDD partitions were deleted and formatted). After the OS installation, I installed the network driver via Windows Update, and proceeded to run the installation for the Cisco VPN Client. The installation apears to proceed smoothly until the installation progress indicator reaches the point where it states that it is installing the "Deterministic Network Enhancer." Shortly reaching this point, the Windows CPU Usage monitor reaches 100% and the operating system freezes.

I have tried the following actions, which failed to successfully install the software:

a) Installing Cisco VPN Client produced the same problem.

b) Reformatted the hard drive, installed Windows 7, and tried to install the Cisco VPN Client again, but failed.

c) Used Windows 7 System Restore to restore OS state prior to the installation of the Cisco VPN Client. Then, ran Citrix's winfix.exe tool. After that, I ran Citrix's dneupdate.msi program for 32-bit Windows operating systems, but that also crashed the OS mid-way through the installation/update.

d) This URL from Citrix ( suggested changing a Windows registry key, then try re-installing the Cisco VPN Client. However, that did not work.

I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue. If anyone can provide some suggestions or a solution to this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

CreatePlease to create content