Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco vpn client version

Hi all,

Where can I find documents regarding Cisco ASA 8.4 vpn compatibility with Cisco Vpn Client? It seems to be version 4.7 doesnt work..

Thanks

Jus

4 Replies 4

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

I do not think if vpn client version has got something to do with ASA version. It just all VPN client version are not supported on windows /linux OS 32/64 bit.

Thanks

Ajay

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please see the Release Notes for VPN client.

From 4.7 Release notes:

The VPN Client supports the following Cisco VPN devices:

Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator, Version 3.0 and later. Using IPsec over TCP requires VPN 3000 Series Concentrator version 3.6.7.a and later.

Cisco PIX Firewall, Version 6.2.2(122) or Version 6.3(1).

Cisco IOS Routers, Version 12.2(8)T and later

From 5.0 Release notes:

VPN Client supports the following Cisco VPN devices:

Cisco Series 5500 Adaptive Security Appliance, Version 7.0 and later.

Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator, Version 3.0 and later. Using IPsec over TCP requires VPN 3000 Series Concentrator version 3.6.7.a and later.

Cisco PIX Firewall, Version 6.2.2(122) or Version 6.3(1).

Cisco IOS Routers, Version 12.2(8)T and later.

(Highligting is my own.)

Thanks to point me to the right documents! However reading release notes for vpn client, release 4.8 supports also  Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance, Version 7.0 and later. Not sure it works..

Is there a particular reason why you are wanting to use an old 4.x client (4.8 released January 2007) with an ASA latest release?

I have used the current 5.0.07.0440 client successfully on 64-bit Windows 7 with ASA 8.4.

Just to test I downloaded 4.8 client and note this warning page is presented:

Dear Valued Customers and Partners,

In an effort to assist our customers and partners in using Cisco's recommended VPN software releases, Cisco is archiving and deferring (i.e. removing) from Cisco's Software Center potentially vulnerable and older software releases of the Cisco Secure Desktop (CSD) and of the Cisco VPN clients (Cisco VPN client (IPsec), SSL VPN Client (SVC) and Cisco AnyConnect VPN client).

Cisco strongly recommends use of the latest VPN client and Cisco Secure Desktop software versions, as available on Cisco's Software Center, in the

Latest Releases folder for each product. Recommended software includes fixes to security vulnerabilities announced by PSIRT, incorporates the latest feature-sets, and supports best practices deployments.

As new updates are released, the most current VPN software versions will be published on Cisco's Software Center. Prior releases will be superseded and either archived or deferred from the Software Center. As an accommodation to our customers, archived releases will still be available on Cisco's Software Center in a separate All Releases folder. Deferred releases will be removed from Cisco's Software Center and can be obtained by special request through Cisco's Technical Assistance Center (TAC).

All archived and deferred software available through the Cisco Software Center or through TAC is provided by Cisco expressly on an "AS IS" basis, without warranty of any kind. Such archived or deferred software may contain known security vulnerabilities or other bugs that have been fixed in subsequent software versions.

Before using any archived or deferred software version, please consult the Security Advisory Information page.

Compatibility information documentation for Cisco ASA, ASDM, CSD and VPN clients is posted here:

Cisco ASA 5500 Series VPN Compatibility Reference

- The Cisco ASA VPN edition team

Unfortunately it won't install on 64-bit Windows 7 so I can't test it independently on an ASA with 8.4(1).

Note that, notwithstanding the Cisco VPN Client 4.8 Release Notes, the Compatibility Reference mentioned above states:

Cisco IPsec Clients

All releases of the Cisco ASA 5500 series support the following Cisco IPsec VPN Client releases:

•Cisco VPN Client Release 5.0.0.7 supports Microsoft Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit), Windows Vista x86 and x64, and Windows XP x86

•Cisco VPN Client Release 5.0.0.6 supports Microsoft Windows 7 x86, Vista x86, and XP x86

•Cisco VPN Client Release 4.9.01.280 supports Mac OS X 10.5 & 10.6

•Cisco VPN Client Release 4.9.01 supports Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5

•Cisco VPN Client Release 4.8.02 supports Linux (Red Hat)

•Cisco VPN Client Release 4.6.02 supports Solaris UltraSparc (32 and 64-bit)

Refer to the Cisco VPN Client Release Notes for more details on capabilities and limitations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: