cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client

ppilote
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Is there any client currently running on Windows 2003 server?

4 Replies 4

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

here you ahve the matrix ... i hope it helps ..please rate it if it does !!!

VPN Client Version -> 4.6.02.0011 4.6.03.0021 4.6.04.0043 4.7.00.0533 4.8.00.0440

Win95/98/ME Yes Yes No Yes Yes (Last)

WinNT Yes Yes Yes (Last) No No

Win2K/XP Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Windows 2003 Server No No No Yes Yes

Vista No No No No No

jbburks
Level 5
Level 5

Any hope for a Windows Vista client?

It's disappointing that a new client just came out, and there's apparently no Vista support, even in beta.

At this point, I'm advising my customers not to deploy Cisco VPN until we understand the support picture and timeline for Cisco VPN on Windows Vista.

Note: starting to develop support when the product is released is not good enough. Foundational software, like VPN access, needs to be there day 1.

Ahem...correct me iff I am wrong, but isn't the common believe that Vistas day 1 is still one year away????

I couldn't complain e.g. about universal binaries support when the new Intel Macs came out. The VPN Client binaries were there from day 1.

Vista is at Beta 2. General release is at least 1Q2006.

Microsoft VPN (such as it is) works out-of-the-box. Most, if not all, Tier 1 vendors, such as nVidia, ATI, etc. are supporting Vista with beta drivers.

Does Cisco want to be a top-tier vendor, or a second-tier one?

If Cisco waits until Vista's release to start any work, it will be 3-6 months before it's suported. That means, for my customers who are middle of the pack (not even the early adopters that load Vista on user machines in beta) will be clamoring to use something else for VPN.

Microsoft has a hammerlock on the business desktop. Cisco needs to accept it, and live with their own dominance in the network world.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: