Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN problem

jabranzahid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to build a site to site vpn from ASA5580(FW1) to ASA5505(FW2 @ remote site).

The purpose of this VPN is to monitor the firewall and its interfaces with Solarwinds through the VPN tunnel.

By initiating traffic from the LAN side of FW1, the VPN comes up but we only see one way traffic through the tunnel on both FWs and we don't see reply coming back.

Basically, the IP address I am trying to ping is actually on the firewall and not something behind the firewall.

My question is, can a VPN be used to talk to an IP address on the firewall which terminates the vpn ? (such as managing the fw with solarwinds ?)

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hi, you can do this. 

For example, let's say you want to monitor the "inside" IP of the FW through the VPN tunnel. 

The command "management-access inside" allows the "inside" IP to be sent through the tunnel so you can communicate with it (assuming the VPN configuration is ok). 

Hope it helps.

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: