Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Configuring routers for VPN

I have RV016 & RV042 routers.  I am trying to configure them to be able to use VPN tunnels.  The RV016 is behind a Netopia DSL modem that does not have a static IP on the WAN side.  The DS042 is behind a cable modem that does not have a static IP on the WAN side.  I have tried many times to configure this and can't seem to get it working.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I also need to get it woking between a VPN client and teh RV016.

1 REPLY

Re: Configuring routers for VPN

Hi Steve,

I can not think of a scenario where you can setup a Site-to-site VPN tunnel between two endpoint which have "dynamic IP addresses". If you had one end static and the other end dynamic then you may have a chance.

Having said the above you may want to try the following:

register 2 hostname with dynamic DNS (http://www.dyndns.com/) (I think its free) where you can have a domain name always pointing to your dynamic IP address, then use the hostname instead of the IP address as the peer address.

I have not tried this, but if you have time its worth a shot. let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Michael

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content