cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining version of PIX

mattpociask
Level 1
Level 1

I need to do a password recovery on a PIX 506E for a new client. The old network admin left along with the password. I have the documentation on how to preform the recovery, however, it instructs you to download a .bin file based on which version (of IOS I assume) the firewall is using. How can I determine this if I cannot get into the box to do a "show version"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to connect a terminal into the console and reboot the PIX. Watch the start up messages, it tells you what version of code its running.

Andy

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

usually, there are two passwords for full access on the pix; one is the telnet/ssh, and the second is enable password.

to do "sh ver" you don't need the enable. assuming you don't even have the telnet/ssh password, you can still get into the pix via the console and issue the command "sh ver".

As soon as I hoook into console, I get a "Username:" prompt.

You need to connect a terminal into the console and reboot the PIX. Watch the start up messages, it tells you what version of code its running.

Andy

Excellent, thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: