Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DMVPN Issue

I am try to design a DMVPN network.  The problem I am having is to design it with disaster recovery in mind.  If I put a hub at our primary corporate headquarters and if the building gets wiped out (which I hope it never does) what happens to the spokes?  I am designing it in a spoke-to-spoke design due to a lot of video conferencing and ip phone traffic going between the sites.  Our disaster recovery site is hot.  Do I put a hub and a spoke in the disaster recovery site?  I do not want everything to failover to the disaster recovery site if the hub at our corporate location goes down. 

If anybody has any suggestions or configuration it would be helpful.

Thank you

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: DMVPN Issue

Hi Peter,

I suggest you set up a secondary or tertiary tunnel (depending on how your network is set up) that connects to the DR site DMVPN hub. All of your spokes should have the configuration for the tunnel saved, active and trying to connect. Your DR site Hub should have its Tunnel shut off. When your main site Hub goes down then you can then simply turn the Tunnel for your DR site Hub online. The spokes should be able to negotiate with it and establish tunnels through NHRP.

This requires a second set of internet routable IP addresses for the DR site Hub, but it would work in a pinch. That way you wouldn't need to touch every router at every spoke to get them configured to talk to your DR site.

-Kurt

1 REPLY

Re: DMVPN Issue

Hi Peter,

I suggest you set up a secondary or tertiary tunnel (depending on how your network is set up) that connects to the DR site DMVPN hub. All of your spokes should have the configuration for the tunnel saved, active and trying to connect. Your DR site Hub should have its Tunnel shut off. When your main site Hub goes down then you can then simply turn the Tunnel for your DR site Hub online. The spokes should be able to negotiate with it and establish tunnels through NHRP.

This requires a second set of internet routable IP addresses for the DR site Hub, but it would work in a pinch. That way you wouldn't need to touch every router at every spoke to get them configured to talk to your DR site.

-Kurt

Views
Helpful
Replies