cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

DMVPN site to site tunnel?

Dear All,

This is regarding the DMVPN using mGRE. I want to know that spoke to spoke traffic passes through hub or it will create the direct tunnel between spoke to spoke?

Thank You,

Abhisar

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Abhisar,

It depends.

Phase 1 design of DMVPN allowed mgre only on hub - thus no dynamic spoke to spoke tunnels.

In phase 2 and phase 3 design (with a small dependency on phase 2 or phase 3 image) spoke to spokes tunnels are formed - note that initial packet (phase 3 images) will flow through hub following routing table.

HTH,

M.

Community Member

Dear,

Thanks for your reply. As I read that there will be dynamic tunnel creation when spoke 1 wants to send traffic to spoke 2 , but when I did traceroute from spoke 1 router to spoke 2 router(network behind spoke 2), it gave me first hop as a hub and then spoke 2, which is just confusing me.

Can you please explain the same.

Thank You,

Abhisar.

Cisco Employee

Provided that everything is working correctly and that you're using phase 2 or 3 design with phase 3 image (which is a typical case) the initial packets will go over connection to the hub because there is no better adjacany built.

A lot depend on what you're doing and how you're doing it. :-)

If you don't see NHRP entries populating or IPsec tunnel not built - open up a TAC case they will give you a better explanation based on your actual symptoms and configuration.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content