cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN: Too many spoke to spoke tunnels created!

lap
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

We have a customer wiht a DMVPN network phase 2. There are around 40 spokes. What I can see on all the spokes is between 10 and 15 IPsec spoke to spoke tunnels which is really strange as most of the spoke locations should only have between 1 to 4 spoke to spoke tunnels maximum.

My question is what could cause the spoke routers to create an IPsec spoke to spoke tunnel? Some weired applications?

IOS version: 12.4(15)T11 Platform: Cisco 1812.

Best regards,

Laurent

8 Replies 8

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Its all depend on traffic between spoke to spoke and DMVPN is ment for that only ,if there will be interesting traffic Ipsec tunnel will be formed.

Hi,

But there may be an apllication that trigger this Spoke to spoke tunnels?

I cannot in the inspect sessions the IP of the destination spokes. So it looks it is a quick trigger, then inspect session time ud og IPsec SAs stayded for the defaut life time.

Regards,

Laurent

You can also verify with " show crypto ipsec sa " if the traffic is passing over tunnel.

Most the Spoke Spoke tunnels haven't any packets encrypted.

Regards,

Laurent

Then tunnels will teardown after sometime should not be issue .

Does the SAs cosume any ressource on the router?

Actual resources are consumed when encryption/decryption is there for traffic and performamce  depends upon the hardware you using.

Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: