cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS through LAN-LAN Tunnel

danieldiaz
Level 1
Level 1

Im connecting 2 sites via lan-lan tunnel (2 Routers-FW feature set), with split-tunneling at both ends. There is one internal DNS Sever (site A), at site B the router is providing DHCP scope, primary DNS is server at site A and secondary is ISP provider DNS. Everything seems to route correctly except queries to internal DNS. Clients at site B cannot resolve local names but can public names. Should my access-list at site A include entries for DNS from site B request?

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

try from a site b host to ping the site a dns server. further, on the same host, do "nslookup" from the command prompt. the one is shown should be the site a dns server ip, not the public dns ip.

e.g.

C:\>nslookup

Default Server: companydns.com.au

Address: 192.168.1.100

>

Thank you. I had to work it through TAC. At one point I was able to source a telnet from site B inside interface to port 53 which traversed tunnel. Without any explanation that stopped working. In addition, router A was responding to pings from router B (through tunnel)but logging unreachable port. TAC configured a loopback and a route map on router A. This resolved it but still doesnt explain why it stopped working.

nrichie
Level 1
Level 1

What entries does your current acl's contain? In the Windows world, the server/workstations will utilize the secondary DNS server if the primary is unavaialable. Is this 1 MS domain? If so, you could point the clients at the server(b) and have server(b) configured to forward all to server(a).

Thank you. I had to work it through TAC. At one point I was able to source a telnet from site B inside interface to port 53 which traversed tunnel. Without any explanation that stopped working. In addition, router A was responding to pings from router B (through tunnel)but logging unreachable port. TAC configured a loopback and a route map on router A. This resolved it but still doesnt explain why it stopped working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: