cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error 442 --endlessly, once again!

spikester
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have done everything I can figure out to do, and everything I have found here in suggestions.

I have Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160 installed on both a laptop and PC. The laptop works fine. The PC gets this error: "Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442. Failed to enable Virtual Adapter." I ran VPN on this very PC back in 2007-08, with no problems at all.

Here are the steps I have taken so far, to no effect whatsoever:

1. From Microsoft Answers I got this, and did it:

a     Open list of your Network connections from control panel

b.    Set the connection for VPN to disable state.

c.    Now connect with VPN (Virtual Private Network) client. ------still Reason 442

Their other suggestion, go to this site. So here I am.

2. I researched and read posts for a long time here, and because of those I did the following:

a. Uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted, over and over-----still Reason 442.

b. Network connections (XP) >>Cisco VPN Coneection >> Repair this connection-----still Reason 442.

That created this error message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed. TCP/IP is           not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed. Contact the person who manages your network."

3. Uninstalled McAfee, (a brand new install BTW)---hey, I read here that it was the remedy for 442----result?-----still Reason 442.

4. Changed Sharing in Network connections--VPN properties---then I got VPN error 403 "Unable to contact the security gateway." So I changed it back, and-----still Reason 442.

I would really appreciate any more suggestions or ideas. I need it to work from home. I can use the laptop from home, but to me it is ergonomic hell.

Sincere thanks for any ideas, even if they don't work for me.

2 Replies 2

Dennis7X
Level 1
Level 1

I also have Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160 installed on both a laptop and a PC. The laptop running Windows 7 pro and the desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate. My laptop also work fine. But the PC gets the error: "Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442. Failed to enable Virtual Adapter." I also ran VPN on this very PC under windows XP SP3, with no problems at all.

After some research I read that Cisco VPN Client 5.x (Updated for Windows VISTA) was broken for this same issue. I plan to monitor this thread via rss. If you find an answer please post it.

Oh well, back to Fedora Linux that works with Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160

BTW, I also tried all the fixed suggested with no joy. I think this is a Cisco VPN Client 5.0.06.0160 under Windows Vista/7 bug.

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem. i tryed the save solutions and remove and install again some times the vpn client with no effect.

do you have any news or definitly solution?.

Thanks and best regards,

Mauricio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: