cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

exclude networks from L2L vpn tunnel

lmark
Level 1
Level 1

We have a L2L tunnel between our main site an a branch office.

All traffic from the branch office is sent through the tunnel using

an access list with "any" as destination:

access-list tunnel-acl  extended permit ip 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 any

crypto map outside-map 10 match address tunnel-acl

The branch is located on a uni campus. Now we have the demand

to access a private network on the uni campus.

Is there a way to exclude a special network from the vpn tunnel?

Regards,

Mark

4 Replies 4

lmark
Level 1
Level 1

The tunnel end points are two ASA5510.

For remote-access tunnels one can define a

list of networks to be excluded for split-tunneling.

I wonder how this can be realized for l2l tunnels?

Jason Gervia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can try a deny line as the first line in the ACL - though we  typically don't recommend this.  There is no 'split tunneling' with L2L,  as your crypto ACL controls what you are sending.

You  could also just be specific in the ACL for the networks you need -  instead of putting 'any', put just the networks that need to be accessed  and exclude the ones (like the one you don't want encrypted) from that  ACL.  This is usually what's done with L2L tunnels.

ie:

access-list tunnel-acl  extended permit ip 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

access-list tunnel-acl  extended permit ip 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 11.11.11.0 255.255.255.0

And this way you only encrypt the traffic that you want to encrypt, instead of all traffic.

--Jason

> You can try a deny line as the first line in the ACL - though we   typically don't recommend this.

cool, I will try it. I guess that the deny rule is only needed at the branch asa.

We have to keep the "any"-rule because also the internet traffic

should go through the tunnel.

lmark you can utilize the vpn filter feature you use on your remote access vpns on your l2l as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00808c9a87.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: