cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover 520 PIX , Primary loses communication with secondary

mbaig
Level 1
Level 1

I have 520 PIX running in failover fashion using a Serial cable for failover heartbeat. Primary loses communication with secondary for no obvious reason and it gives a jerk on LAN for connectivity. When I boot primary first and then secondary, I can see that status on primary for failover is normal. After sometime, maybe like an hour or two hours later, somehow primary loses communication with secondary and in the process, it stops responding on LAN for 15-30 seconds. After this, th status for secondary on show failover command changes to testing and it stays as testing. This thing is happening on both boxes regardless which ever I make primary. I see the cable status as normal on both firewalls. What could be the reason for losing communication within two fireboxes. I am thinking to replace the serial cable with a new cable. I will appreciate if anyone can give me suggestions for troubleshooting this problem. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Any syslog messages that you can capture may be helpfull. What does the show cpu usage says on the pix? Is there any network infrastructure change that you made? When the PIX looses connection to the secondary, what does both the pixen show? which one stays active, or if both of them becomes active?

Thanks

Nadeem

pgomez
Level 1
Level 1

I'm recieving the same exact problem on a 525 PIX on my Gbit interfaces. If you've got any resolution with this I'd love to hear it. Like you said I get these momentary net hiccups and the fact that my website is on that net I'd like to get it stable. Thanks!

-Paul

I upgraded IOS from 5.3.3 to 6.2.3 and everything looks good and stable now.

Shohab

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: