cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover for Point-to-Point VPN with RV042 or RV082

Ramon Dailey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm hoping someone can clarify a couple of questions about setting up a VPN using RV042 or RV082 devices.

I need to setup a point-to-point VPN connection between two small offices.  We have a VPN that's working now, but it's a problem when the ISP on one end or the other goes down.  There will only be up to 4 users on the VPN at a time, but it's important that their connection goes down as little as possible.

The plan is to setup a DSL and a cable connection at each end and use one of the above multi-wan routers for failover.  I know that both routers will provide failover for the Internet connection, but will they provide failover for the VPN tunnel?  In case I'm not being clear enough, if the cable Internet connection goes down, for instance, will the VPN roll over to the DSL connection on both ends?

I saw another thread that indicated that the RV082 has a failover feature for VPN, but that the RV042 does not.  Is this correct?  If so, do I need the RV082 on both ends, or do I just need the RV082 on one side and can use the RV042 on the other?

Thank you for your help.

Ramon

0 Replies 0