Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Failover pix not able to connect to network

Hi

We have recently deployed a second pix firewall with a failover license for the added redundancy during failures. However I was able to login to the pix setup the PIX and give it an ip address however I am not capable of establishing any network connection. I cannot ping the primary firewall. I have not attached the cisco failover cable and I am planning to use the LAN based failover.

Do I have to do any thing before hands or is there something that must be configured first.

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Failover pix not able to connect to network

Hello Mahdi,

hard to tell without knowing the exact configuration(s) of your PIX boxes. Can you post the configs ?

You also might want to have a look at this document, it describes what is needed for the failover config to work:

How Failover Works on the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/failover.html

Let me know if you get stuck...

Regards,

GNT

hi

we have two pix 525. with the os of 6.3. one with unristricted license and one with failover license.

one question, would the failover pix work without the unristricted pix connectivity to the box. I know that the failovers config would be erased on reload but would it be capable of connecting to the network by giving it an ip address without it recieving the initial config from the master pix.?

Thanks

mahdi

Hello Mahdi,

the PIX does not work correctly as a standalone device with only the failover license. Here is the explanation from CCO:

Q. I have two Cisco Secure PIX Firewalls configured in a Failover topology. One has an Unrestricted license and the other has a Failover license. What happens if both PIX Firewalls lose power and only the Failover unit boots back up?

A. The PIX Firewall with the Failover license is intended to be used solely for failover and not in standalone mode. When both PIX Firewalls lose power and only the Failover unit boots back up, it is as if the Failover unit is used in standalone mode. If a Failover unit is used in standalone mode, the unit reboots at least once every 24 hours until the unit is returned to failover duty, when it senses the presence of the primary PIX Firewall.

Does that answer your question ?

Regards,

GNT

Hi

I am actually thinking of creating a lan based failover. the two pix firewalls will only be connected via ethernet. I had this idea in mind that I would be able to configure IP on the failover and test connectivity eith the failover. the only thing I recieved was time outs. how would this work out in lan based failover if I cant use the failover cable? I thought that the failover had the capabality of network connectivity for testing purposes at least. So what you say is that if I configure the primary with the IP address of the secondry they would connect to each other and act as a redundant pair?.

Thanks

Hello Mahdi,

can you post your configs ? And how is your physical setup ?

Have a look at this document as well:

How Failover Works on the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/failover.html

Regards,

GNT

Views
Helpful
Replies