Views
Helpful
Replies

File Move Error with Cisco AnyConnect

jtechemet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using a Web Deployed Cisco AnyConnect 3.0.08057. I get the following error, after typing in my password:

"Failed to install AnyConnect VPN Profile because of file move error. A VPN connection cannot be established."

I am running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 (Though I tried with Firefox 15.0.1 and it didn't work either).

This computer used to be pretty locked down (Windows security, Group Policy, etc.) but I have since removed most of that security and I have administrative rights. Java is the latest version. I feel like I've tried everything! Any ideas?

Attached is a screenshot of the error.

More information: I used to have a popup box about a certificate problem but I have since added the AnyConnect certificate to my store and that box went away. Also, if I enter an incorrect password, I get a different error message, and if I use my login information on another PC, it works fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

11 Replies 11

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Definitely sounds like security on the PC issue, especially with that error message of (file move error).

I agree that it's security on the PC... but I don't know enough about the Cisco AnyConnect software to know exactly what right the application is requesting and isn't being granted...

Hello!  Actually ran across this recently, and while doing a bit of research, found this thread. I was able to resolve the issue by verifying (and correcting) the permissions on the directory that the profile is stored in. This varies by operating system, the paths for XP and 7 are:

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

Win 7: C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

In my case the permissions on the file got blanked somewhere along the way, just had to go to the next higher directoy and re-propagate the permissions down to the child objects (files and subdirectories residing under this directory).

updating the profiles doesn't seem to work for us so I'm going to update the user from Anyconnect version 3.1.x to 4.3.x. Checked all the file/folder permissions in the /opt/cisco/anyconnect/profile/ path. 

Mac OSX client

--the client update worked. 

daftucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here but probably caused by some certificate validation (which one?):

Function: CMainThread::launchClientApp

File: .\MainThread.cpp

Line: 2422

executable name: vpndownloader.exe

command line args: "CAC-move          C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\5534.tmp\Profil1.xml          C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile\Profil1.xml          A2E7E21E505BB6148007538AA7A2093EC8E0296B          0"

Function: CVerifyFileSignatureWindows::CheckFileSignature

File: .\VerifyFileSignatureWindows.cpp

Line: 182

Invoked Function: WinVerifyTrustEx

Return Code: -2146762486 (0x800B010A)

Description: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.

Function: CProcessApi::Launch

File: .\IPC\ProcessAPI.cpp

Line: 340

Invoked Function: VerifyFileSignature IsValid

Return Code: -31326176 (0xFE220020)

Description: CERTIFICATE_ERROR_UNKNOWN

Function: CMainThread::launchClientApp

Line: 2439

Invoked Function: ProcessApiLaunch

Function: CMainThread::OnIpcMessageReceivedAtDepot

Line: 3851

Invoked Function: CMainThread::launchClientApp

Function: CDnldrIpc::AskAgentToMoveFileAndWaitForResp

File: .\DnldrIpc.cpp

Line: 1201

Invoked Function: AskAgentToMoveFile

Function: CDownloaderDlg::DoMoveFile

File: .\DownloaderDlg.cpp

Line: 2414

Invoked Function: CDownloaderDlg::AskAgentToMoveFileAndWaitForResp

Return Code: -25755630 (0xFE770012)

Description: DOWNLOADER_ERROR_FILE_MOVE_ERROR

Failed to install Profil1.xml because of file move error. A VPN connection cannot be established.

Function: CManifest::ProcessFiles

File: .\Manifest.cpp

Line: 1233

Failed processing required file Profil1.xml

Function: CManifestMgr::ProcessManifests

File: .\ManifestMgr.cpp

Line: 727

Invoked Function: CManifest::ProcessFiles

Return Code: -25690103 (0xFE780009)

Description: MANIFESTMGR_ERROR_UNEXPECTED

Failed to update required profile

Function: CDownloaderDlg::InstallThread

File: .\DownloaderDlg.cpp

Line: 1242

Invoked Function: CManifest::ProcessManifest

Return Code: -25690093 (0xFE780013)

Description: MANIFESTMGR_ERROR_PROCESSING_UPDATES:Failed processing updates

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Downloader exiting, version 3.0.0629 , return code 1 [0x00000001]

Function: ConnectMgr::launchRemoteDownloader

File: .\ConnectMgr.cpp

Line: 6526

Invoked Function: ProcessApi :: WaitForProcess

Return Code: 1 (0x00000001)

Description: Downloader terminated abnormally

I was never able to fix this issue. Changing the permissions on the directory never worked (I tried that when I first posted). Eventually I switched to a different computer!

Good luck guys

I've found some workaround to this problem by copying XML file with profile from other machine to proper location (

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile in Windows 7).

There was another problem with version update (same situation with working on downloaded exe file - certificate error). I had to catch the file just after it was download and before downloader removed it because of certyficate error (only few ms to do that ) and then manually install new version (first uninstall old one).

Alan.McKenney
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem, but I'm running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

I run "vpn connect "

I am able to log in, but then I get a pop-up with "Failed to install AnyConnect VPN Profile because of file move error."

I changed the permissions on /opt/cisco/anyconnect/profile to 777 and the permissions on the .xsd file in that directory to 666, but I still have the problem.

Any suggestions?  (The VPN people at my company are clueless about Linux.)

I had this particular problem and have registered just to help others.

So, I had a hell of a time with Cisco AnyConnect 3.0 on backtrack with the error:

"failed to install Anyconnect VPN Profile because of file move error. A VPN connection cannot be established"

Long story short, it's missing the VPN profile, therefore I used the profile that was created from my (working) Win Cisco Anyconnect VPN and simply pasted it in /opt/cisco/anyconnect/profile/.xml

After I did this it all worked fine.

Below is a working profile in the event that you don't have one to hand.

-http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/ AnyConnectProfile.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">-falsetruefalseAllfalseNativefalsetruefalse-true DisconnectOnSuspendfalseAutomaticSingleLocalLogonLocalUsersOnlyfalse-Disable false-false 204false

Not sure if simply pasting this will work for other peoples VPN connections, but I thought as it doesn't have any PII, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Hope it helps.

And I just had to register to thank you for this!

I can confirm that copying a working profile (preferably the one you want to use) from a Win installation to a Linux installation helped. (Previously I tried to change owners and access rights for all the folders in /opt/cisco, but strangely enough, none of that worked...)

pritamyewale1
Level 1
Level 1

i had the same issue and was able to resolve it. If you have any other instance of CISCO VPN already installed on your system then please uninstall all other versions and it will work for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: