cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GETVPN and rekeying when many group members leave at the same time

supercolver
Level 1
Level 1

It's not specified how Key Servers react when many group members leave at the same time. For example, if 3 members leave a same group, did the key manager sends three keys (KEK,TEK), and only the last one will be available for future connections ? Or did the key manager optimizes the rekeying and sends only one key ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pierre,

On itself it's not insecure. You can extract the session keys from memory (not impossible but tricky).

I guess what you're looking for is a red button to clear SAs on all devices?

In which case:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_getvpn/configuration/15-2mt/sec-get-vpn.html#GUID-6267F36C-094F-483F-A1CA-735D39484364

Specifically "clear crypto gdoi ks members now"

Was there any particular risk you were thinking about?

M.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pierre,

TEK and KEK (for the most part) do not change during their lifetime.

A change of state of a particular GM does not affect TEK used by other peers.

M.

Thanks for your answer Marcin,

So, that means if a member leave his group, he will be able to read messages of his old group until the life-time of the TEK expires ? It's a little bit unsecure, isn't it?

Pierre

Pierre,

On itself it's not insecure. You can extract the session keys from memory (not impossible but tricky).

I guess what you're looking for is a red button to clear SAs on all devices?

In which case:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_getvpn/configuration/15-2mt/sec-get-vpn.html#GUID-6267F36C-094F-483F-A1CA-735D39484364

Specifically "clear crypto gdoi ks members now"

Was there any particular risk you were thinking about?

M.

That's what i was looking for, thanks very much. I thought that all SAs were cleared by default when a gm leave.

Thanks again, have a nice day.

Pierre