Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

GRE tunnel problem

I have applied the below confgs on two remote cisco routers connected to internet,the tunnel status is up up but I cant ping the tunnel ip address,what might be the problem??

Router1:

int tunnel 1

tunnel source s0/0

tunnel destination x.x.x.x (f0/0 of R2)

Router2:

int tunnel 1

tunnel source f0/0 (real ip)

tunnel dest x.x.x.x (s0/0 of R1)

Thanks

13 REPLIES

Re: GRE tunnel problem

do u have routing protocol configured?

have u included the tunel interfaces in ur routing

also put the tunnel mode

god luck

I dont have routing protocol also I use the default tunnel mode

You need to have a valid route for the tunnel destination in the routing tables for it to come up try:-

HTH>

the tunnel stat is up up but I cant ping the other end??for the route I have a default route on both routers.....

OK - what is the topology between the 2 devices?

the two routers connected to service provider routers (internet connection)

Are there any other devices in between the routers - firewalls, VPN's etc??

really I dont know ,it is the service provider network>>>how can I make sure that the tunnel is working properly....???

To be honest - you need to know this.

As you will be using RFC1918 internal IP addresses. So you will NAT or your provider might NAT for you - you need a routable source and destination for the tunnel to work. You also need to know if there any devices in between the connection between the 2 sites that could be blocking the runnel. What is the connection to the internet?? MPLS? Frame-Relay? ADSL ??

Right now you don't have enought information - you need to do some digging.

HTH>

one of them has dedicated E1 connection and the other one connected to a second router in possession of our service provider and then to internet...

R1--->E1

R2--->service provider Router --->internet

The issue will either be - a NAT problem or a device at either end or both ends it blocking protocol 47 - GRE, or a routing issue

Check your NAT and filtering rules, and your routing.

HTH>

the tunnel stat is up up >>>what this implies??

it implies nothing really, only the interface that is the source is know and up/up and that the router has a valid "live" route in it's routing table for the destination.

Just for you - configure your end with the following:-

int tun1

keepalive 1 3

Then close the tunnel and re-open it....does it come back up/up ????

At the end of the day you can trick a tunnel into being up/up if you have the time and a spare router with 1 ethernet interface do this:-

do not connect any cables to the ethernet interface.

Give the interface an ip address of 192.168.1.1/24

create a tunnel 1

tunnel source <>

tunnel destination 192.168.2.1

ip route 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.255 <>

and here is the magic - in the ethernet interface configure "no keepalive" this tricks the interface to come up/up - the there wiull be a connected interface in the routing table of 192.168.1.0/24

As you have a configured static route 192.168.2.1 out of the ethernet interface - there will be a static route in the routing table. As the tunnel can see a valid route - without keepalives, it will bring the tunnel up!

Try it out - great fun.

Your issue is still the path from 1 site to the other site and going over the internet I presume, you have nat issues, blocking issues or just plain connectivity/routing issues.

HTH>

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content