Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hairpin for VPN on ASA5505 with 8.3(1)

I have been searching for this forever and the only examples I can find are version 7 code. My next step is downgrading to 7.x and getting it to work that way. Basically my internal subnet is 10.0.0.0/24 the VPN Pool is 10.0.1.0/24. My public IP for this instance can be 2.2.2.2. All I am looking for is to have all internet traffic come trough the VPN because I want emails to be sent by our static IP rather than the VPN users dynamic one so they can stop getting blocked.

I have already entered the same-security-traffic permit intra-interface and I have all traffic being tunneled through the VPN I just need the NAT statements and any other little command I might be missing.

If at all possible I would love a little bit of an explanation on this because I only understand that it is coming in and going out the same interface and that it is being accomplished by NAT, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around where the VPN traffic is beng Nat'ed to.

Thanks,

Ken

Edit: I found something on NAT for 8.3 here:

and I tried this, but it did not work.

ASA(config)#object network OBJ_SPECIFIC_10.0.1.0
ASA(config-obj)#subnet 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0
ASA(config-obj)#exit
ASA(config)#nat (inside,outside) source dynamic OBJ_SPECIFIC_192-168-1-0 2.2.2.10

2.2.2.10 being a second IP from my ISP.

The traffic comes in the Outside interface and just gets dropped. I guess I need to look into why it is getting dropped, maybe its an access list thing.

1 REPLY

Re: Hairpin for VPN on ASA5505 with 8.3(1)

I finally got this working by changing the nat statement  to (outside,outside) because the packets never leave the interface.

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

object network VPN-Internet

host 2.2.2.10

description IP address used by VPN users for Internet access

object network VPNPool

subnet 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0

description VPN IP Pool

nat (outside,outside) source dynamic VPNPool VPN-Internet interface

Hopefully this will help someone else out.

ASA 5500 5505 5510
Hairpin UTurn U-turn Remote Access VPN
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content