cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create lab to simulate as internet between 2 PIX see the link below?

cyyuen2000
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to setup the following case for me to do some testing. How do I simulate internet in the lab enviroment between 2 PIX?

Can I use one router to similate as internet between 2 PIX? HOw?

Or I need more three routers in order to simulate?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008055bd85.shtml

Please advise?

4 Replies 4

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi .. you can have one router or even a PC with two network cards. Then use a cross over cable from PIX 1's outside interface to router's interface 1 and other cross over cable from PIX's outside interface 2 to router's interface 2.

Configure the default route on each PIX to point to the attached interface on the router. So it should look like this.

PIX1 (202.202.202.201 /30) <-> Router Int 1 (202.202.202.202/30) - Router Int 2 (205.205.205.205/30) <-> PIX 2 (205.205.205.206/30 )

I hope it helps ... please rate it it it does !!!

mknisely
Level 1
Level 1

There are some Linux projects out there that create latency and packet drop scenarios that better simulate an Internet situation. You feed the device some ranges for link quality and then it flucuates around those specs.

The package is called netem and is used with tc. Check man pages for each, they're fantastic tools.

Is there any windows base similar application?

micah
Level 1
Level 1

This really depends on how much "simulation" you want to do... If you just want to test VPN tunnels, rules, etc then you should be fine just taking a cross-over cable from the outside interface of one pix to the other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: