Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

How to fully uninstall VPNclient to avoid installation failure error 28000

I have run into a problem and tried different solutions proposed without success:

Dell XPS8500 with Win7 64bit Home.

I had the vpnclient for 64bit working end of last year but had to re-install my wlan and lan network adapters. Thereafter vpnclient didn't work anymore. As "normal" uninstall failed it did a manual uninstall by removing folders, files and registry entries as described in https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2168401:

c:\programs(x86)\CiscoSystems\VPN client folder

c:\programs\common files\deterministic networks folder

c:\windows\system32\drivers\cvpndra.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\dne64x.sys

c:\windows\system32\dnei64x.dll

c:\programdata\MS\Windows\Startmenu\programs\autostart\vpngui.exe

c:\user\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\CsCaTemp\vpnclient.ini

As the log file in windows\temp\indicated that oem121 and oem123 were used by cisco

I deleted in addition

c:\windows\oem121.inf 

c:\windows\oem121.pnf

c:\windows\oem121.inf

c:\windows\oem123.pnf

I cleaned the registry by deleting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CiscoSystems\vpnclient

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DeterministicNetwork

and searched with the following keyword in the registry for the following items, and deleted any related entries.

Deterministic Networks

Vpngui

Vpnapi

Cisco

CVPND

CVPNDRA

Ipsecdialer

Then, I run Ccleaner "registry cleaner" (on all errors concerning CISCO and DNE; but not the other stuff)

Nonetheless, after restart and trying to re-install from the vpnclient 64bit.msi file I still get:

Error 28000: Before installing the Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290, you must uninstall the prvious version of Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0290, using the Add/Remove Program Files option in the Control Panel. Then restart your system.

Any help how to re-install the vpnclient would be highly appreciated.

Patrik

PS: I just realized that under the network adapters there is a wan-miniport (IP) - deterministic network enhancer miniport

and a wan-miniport (network monitor) - deterministic network enhancer miniport? Might they cause the problem? But these I also can delete?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content