cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get access to Internet when VPN fail?

master_serg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured Site-to-Site IPSec VPN and it works.

Our clients have access to inside network and Internet ("hairpinning").

How can I configure access to Internet on remote networks clients if VPN tunnel fail?

Remote devices is ASA5505 and Cisco 861.

When VPN works i have access to Internet over central office gateway.

In case when VPN fail i need still have access to Internet over local (remote device) gateway.

It's possible?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Gary Shives
Level 1
Level 1

you need to allow "split tunneling". Do a search on the Cisco web site for "Allow VPN Split Tunneling". The have examples on how to config.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I just try to understand how split tunneling can help me in this situation.

Split tunneling used for accessing to protected network resources and Internet resources simulationely - for REMOTE VPN users becourse all traffic go thru vpn to protected network and access to resources of local Internet provider is impossible.

In my case i'm  use SITE-2-SITE VPN and protect all traffic, so users HAVE access to protected network and Internet but for access Internet used gateway of central office not local provider.

Question is: In case when central office have no Internet so VPN is fail and other SITE can't access protected networks and Internet, HOW i configure other SITE devices for, IN THAT CASE, automaticaly use local providers gateway and after VPN is OK use central office provider?

Some info for explain...

SITE A (Central office)

SITE B (OTHER SITE)

SITE A CRYPTOMAP source=ANY destination=OTHER_SITE_NETWORK

SITE B CRYPTOMAP source=OTHER_SITE_NETWORK destination=ANY

SITE A NAT (inside,outside) OTHER_SITE_NETWORK to OUTSIDE

SITE B NAT EXEMPT ALL TRAFFIC from NAT   - in that case Internet requests of OTHER SITE go thru VPN to SITE A  and to Internet to SITE A providers gateway

if

SITE B NAT EXEMPT only SITE_B_NETWORK to SITE_A_NETWORK - in that case Internet requests of OTHER SITE go directly to local (SITE B) providers gateway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: