cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to join a domain over VPN connection

jsandau
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 using Cisco anyconnect as it's VPN client. I am trying to joing a computer to the domain via VPN. I have the annyconnect client set up so that it will download on to the client computer and say on there, it will also start up before login. The problem is when I try to join the domain I get the following error:

The domain name  *name* might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the case, verify that  the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are  certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following  information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The  following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location  (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain  nrsc:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.*name*

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

*name*
. (the root zone)

I can ping the server's ip address and name, but I can't join the domain. Any suggestions? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Hi,

You can PING the server because that's unicast and IP packet.

I think that joining a domain might use broadcast which will not be sent through the IPsec tunnel.

You could send NetBIOS over the IPsec tunnel and that might take care of it.

Take a look at this to see if it helps:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/265224#265224

Federico.

I took a look at the link you posted but it ended up confusing me when they got into crypto-access lists and such.

I'm pretty sure I tried to join the domain using the NetBIOS nme and it is still giving me the same error.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: