Cisco Support Community
Community Member

how to make remote vpn in packet tracer ???

hi , this is Ibtissam

I have an assignment on PACKET TRACER (version IOS 12.4(15)T1 ) whereby I have to access a router using REMOTE VPN via a pc.

I have to configure the router using the username & password in addition to GROUPNAME & KEY to be accessed from the pc.

note: no AAA or any NAT are required

so here's how I started on the router:

(config)# username xyz password 123

crypto isakmp client configuration group GROUP key 123456

when I accessed the Desktop -> VPN configuration using the pc & I enter the GroupName, GroupKey, Router's interface IP address, Username (xyz) & password (123456) & then I press connect => I get "connection timed out".

I think some commands are still missing in the router configuration so if please someone can help me

thank you

ibtissam shukor

Cisco Employee

Re: how to make remote vpn in packet tracer ???

Hi Ibtissam,

** I don't think it is possible to run a packet tracer on a router (That is what i understand by what you have mentioned. Correct me if Im wrong).

** After you give the credentials in the cisco client (groupname and groupkey), are you getting a pop up window (for user authentication) asking for username and password (If it does pop up we need to give the router's local username and password ie, username - xyz and password 123).

** Below is the link that gives you information on configuring remote access vpn in a router. You can double check the configuration with this.

** If you are still not able to connect please enter the below debug commands in the router, try to connectand provide the debugs generated here, so that I could see what is going wrong.  .

Router# debug crypto isakmp

Router# debug crypto ipsec

CreatePlease to create content