Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet traffic through remote acces vpn

rtmnl4300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a remote access VPN setup from my home to the office on a pix 506 running software 6.3

I want to be able to also internet through the VPN. Is this possible? I have enabled split tunneling but when I start a browser, it still wound work.

It looks like the pix does not know where to route the traffic to?

Any suggestions,

Regards,

Rudy

1 Reply 1

kaachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you have enabled split tunneling, then the Internet would not work through the VPN.

Moreover, Internet ass such can ot work through VPN, even if you disable split tunnel, because PIX 6.x code is not able to redirect the traffic on any of its interface. The capapbility was introduced in PIX 7.X code. PIX 506 ca not be upgraded to 7.X code.

The only two options you have right now are:

1: Either enable split tunneling, that way Internet traffic will go out unencrypted.

2: Or you can put a proxy server in inside subnet of PIX, and point the VPN client's browser to that proxy server ip address. This would however work for http traffic only.

*Please rate if helped.

-Kanishka

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: