Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS VPN Tunnel - Answer Only?

davemit
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We are moving from an ASA to IOS routers for our site to site VPN tunnels.  On the ASA we have several tunnels set up as "Answer-Only".   How do I configure this same setting on the IOS router?  It isn't jumping out at me as an option in the crypto map.

Thanks!

- Dave

5 Replies 5

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

This is after a long day in the office where I can barely see but I do believe the only option like this is in IPsec profile:

R1(config)#crypto ipsec profile PRO

R1(ipsec-profile)#?

Crypto Map configuration commands:

default         Set a command to its defaults

description     Description of the crypto map statement policy

dialer          Dialer related commands

exit            Exit from crypto map configuration mode

no              Negate a command or set its defaults

redundancy      Configure HA for this ipsec profile

responder-only  Do not initiate SAs from this device

Marcin

Thanks for the reply Marcin!

How do I apply a crypto ipsec profile to a static VPN?

I know you can configure VTI interfaces that use profiles, but my understanding is that both sides would have to use VTI interfaces, whereas we have a variety of customers using "tradition" IPSEC on a variety of devices.

- Dave

Dave,

You're right the functionality would affected only solutions based on tunnel protection (GRE over IPsec or VTI).

Which is basically what we enourage people to run (i.e. VTIs, DMVPN, Flex).

I'll do some checking tomorrow, but from the top of my head at 11:30 PM there's nothing.

Marcin

Dave,

After a few hours of sleep, here's an idea.

To implement answer-only-like functionality, you can use a dynamic crypto map entry (no set peer entry) matching access-list for that traffic + setting transform set.

(If you run ezvpn on same box with crypto maps remember to add a very generic entry with high number in crypto map.

Essentially (not syntax checked)

crypto dynamic-map DYN 10 ipsec-isakmp

set transform MYSET_FOR_L2L

match TRAFFIC_FOR_L2L

crypto dynamic-map DYN 65000 ipsec-isakmp

set transform SET_FOR_EZVPN

Would that work for you?

Marcin

Thanks for thinking outside the box Marcin!  That may work, but I don't think I want to "cludge" up the config of our head end router with a dynamic crypto map just to implement this one feature.  I was hoping the feature was available in static crypto maps - like the ASA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: