Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOS

I have some question about IOS.We are going to buy about 50 cisco 1841 routers for Bank Network.For these we are going to use IOS with IPsec feature.In your view which will be the best IOS?

S184ASK9-12311T Cisco 1841 IOS ADVANCED SECURITY

Is this IOS is appropriate? and Other question is should we buy IOS for each router or Just buy one IOS and load to all routers?.Please suggest me.

4 REPLIES
Gold

Re: IOS

just a quick comment.

an ios will be pre-installed when you purchase a new router. further, a service agreement is required for future software upgarde, namely smartnet contract.

without smartnet, your routers are not entitled to download/upgarde the software in the future, unless you make another purchase of the new ios for each router.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Jack is very right that an IOS will come loaded on the routers that you purchase. Frequently you have an opportunity to specify what IOS should be on them. For the 1841s you will need something in the 12.3T train.

And Jack is very right that without a service agreement that you are not entitled to downloads of software for the routers.

The original post did not indicate the intended usage of the routers. Assuming that the intended usage is for IPSec connectivity then the Advanced Security feature set is very appropriate. I have a customer who is using 1841s for IPSec VPNs and they are doing well.

You probably want the 12.3(11)T8 version of the code (not the 12.3(11)T as referenced in the original post).

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot..

It means we have to pay extra money for all 50 Security based IOS? and can you please elaborate about service agreement.

and I have already bought 5 piece of 1841 routers with default IOS.

Now should I need to buy another 5 security base IOS?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Ishwar

Depending on who you buy the equipment from you should be able to specify what IOS Feature set that you want when you order the 1841 routers. If you have already purchased 5 routers and they came with a feature set that does not meet your needs you may be able to negotiate something with whoever sold them to you to get the feature set that you need. But if you are not able to get whoever sold them to replace the IOS feature set then yes you may need to purchase the Advanced Security feature set.

Cisco offers a service contract on the equipment that they sell. If you order directly from Cisco it is called SmartNet. If you purchase from a reseller they may have their own name for the service contract.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content