cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC from ASA 5510 to dynamic 851w

Ephemeriis
Level 1
Level 1

We do outsourced IT support for a number of clients. One of them has been slowly connecting all their remote sites to their home office using VPNs. So far all the remote sites have had static IP addresses, so it has been easy going.

The next site has a dynamic IP address. I've configured VPNs with a dynamic endpoint on PIXes before... But I'm having a hard time finding any documentation for what we're currently trying to do.

The home office has an ASA5510 with a static IP address. The remote site has an 851w with a dyanamic IP address.

Is it going to be possible to create a VPN between these two locations? Is there anything I should be cautious of because the ASA already has several VPNs established? Can anyone point me to some documentation on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You will only be able to create a valid VPN to the site with the static IP...Unless you have somekind of dynamic DNS for the site with the DHCP.

HTH>

Not really the answer I wanted, but that's kind of what I figured...

So, if we get working dynamic DNS it is possible then? I'd just use the DNS name instead of the IP address to establish the VPN?

Hmmm... Does an 851 do dynamic DNS updates?

Terrific!

So, once I've got dynamic DNS up and running on the 851... I'd just use that DNS name on the ASA where I'd normally put in the static IP? Or is there more to it than that?

In theory - yep!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: