Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec Maximum throughput enquiry

mailaglady2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I would like to know what would happen to traffic exceeding supported maximum encrypted traffic?

With the current ASR1001 2.5G ESP module, Cisco supports upto 1Gbps of IPSec encrypted traffic.

-     My question is what would happen to excess traffic (above 1Gbps) that must be encrypted, will the router drop the excess traffic or pass it through as clear text?

-     If it will send it through as clear text, is there a way i.e show command that I can use to view/check if there was packets that were not encrypted?

I would also appreciate links/url that can provide such information.

Thanks and regards

Mpho

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What we quote as max throughput is not a software limitation (with a few notable exceptions of license on ISR G2 and CSR).

What you will find typically is that the packets will be dropped because of taildrop in multiple queues (depending on platform it's to be monitored differently).

VPN is route- or policy-based, routing or policy does not change because of load of device/link (not directly anyway, one might argue PfR would accomplish just that).

M.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What we quote as max throughput is not a software limitation (with a few notable exceptions of license on ISR G2 and CSR).

What you will find typically is that the packets will be dropped because of taildrop in multiple queues (depending on platform it's to be monitored differently).

VPN is route- or policy-based, routing or policy does not change because of load of device/link (not directly anyway, one might argue PfR would accomplish just that).

M.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: