Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IPSEC tunnel via hostname instead of IP address

Hi there,

Is it possible on an ASA 5500 device to connect an IPSEC tunnel via hostname instead of the IP address?  I have a site without a static IP address that is currently connected via Easy VPN but I want to change one of the sites to a regular IPSEC site to site as one side, the one with the dynamic IP, is being changed to SonicWALL.  I will have DDNS setup on the site with the SonicWALL so I want to know if I can point the ASA device to the hostname instead of the IP.

Thanks ahead of time for anybody with the knowledge to help!

4 REPLIES

Hi

Locally on the firewall you can configure the remote destination ip with a namel-list, is this what you were after?

name 46.46.2.2 site-to-site

tunnel-group site-to-site type ipsec-l2l

tunnel-group site-to-site ipsec-attributes

pre-shared-key cisco

Regards

Nouraj

Hi there and thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately that's not what I was looking for.  I don't have a static WAN IP on the device the ASA will be connecting to and I was wondering if instead of putting in an IP in the config I could just give a hostname and the ASA would translate the hostname to it's current IP via DDNS.

Thanks!

that wont be possible on the asa firewalls. Only other solution would be to put a router in front of a firewall and if you would like the terminate the tunnel on the firewall is to use idenity dn and point it at the router.

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the help, I just wanted to confirm that before I proposed to the client my resolution.  Have a great weekend!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content