Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

IPSec VPN Throughput on 3825 routers - benefit of AIM-SSL-3?

Our corporate network has two remote offices, connecting via VPN to a ASA5515-x located in the data center.  Initially both sites were single ISP, however both are now getting secondary providers without the option of BGP.  Each office has a Palo Alto 200 firewall pair, which support OSPF and BGP.  My plan is to re-purpose two 3825 routers as the new VPN hub, and build parallel site to site tunnels via each ISP, then use BGP or OSPF to load-balance across the tunnels as required.

Reading this doc: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/vpn_performance_eng.pdf it says the throughput for a 3825 is 170 Mbps base and then 175 Mps with AIM-VPN module.  Is this correct?  If so, why would someone buy the module only to get a 2% performance increase?   Can someone offer firsthand experience / read world numbers so I don't have to lab?

As a side note, I also have two 2921s sitting around, but they lack the security license and wouldn't be much faster than the 3825s regardless.  

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies