cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the vpn pool proxied

v-naughton
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question. I am configuring VPN clients on an ASA box and for the vpn pool I would like to know does the ASA box use its own address on behalf of the clients for communication with internal networks or do I need to add a route to the vpn pool on an internal router (ASA box is not the default gateway)

Thanks,

Vincent

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

remote pc encrypts the packet destined for the lan behind the asa. asa receives the packet, decrypts it and try to determine the next hop. so as long as asa has a route to the destination/lan, the remote vpn access will work.

e.g. remote pc <--> vpn <--> asa <--> net1 <--> rt <--> net2

for remote pc to access net1 via vpn, no route is required as net1 is directly connected to asa. alternatively, for remote pc to access net2 via vpn, a route pointing to rt for net2 is required on asa.

Jack thanks for that.

So you are saying is that the internal networks only need a route to my ASA (and my ASA needs static routes to all my Internal networks).

This is the case I can ping anything on the internal network from the ASA.

My vpn client config is exactly the same as above except that I have a Checkpoint Firewall in front of the ASA. The ASA has a private IP network address off a specific Interface of the Checkpoint. The Checkpoint has an external IP address published for the ASA.

I can connect (even authenticate to Cisco ACS which in turn is pointing to AD) but that's it.......Not suer if its a problem with all the nat gateways....I have Nat T switched on also.....any thoughts appreciated.....

Thanks,

Vincent

just a quick thought.

if there is an internal router connected to other subnets, the router would need a route pointing to asa for the vpn client pool subnet, unless the router has the asa as its default gateway.

e.g. remote pc <--> vpn <--> asa <--> net1 <--> rt <--> net2

on the rt, either it's got:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ; or

ip route

also verify the checkpoint inbound access rule whether it's permitting the following for asa:

udp 500

udp 4500

ip 50 (i.e. esp)