cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with changing password via AnyConnect or VPN Client

ryan_bender
Level 1
Level 1

First off let me say that I am no Cisco expert.  That said we've had an issue here for a while, and I'm finally tired or the work-around to the issue.

We have an ASA5510.  Our external employees connect via AnyConnect and VPN Client.  That all works fine without any issue.  What is the issue is when they logon and are instructed to change their password most of them do it via the client, and it changes their password on the domain just fine.  What does not happen is the locally stored Windows password does not get updated so whenever they go to access email, network shares or anything else they have to reenter their passwords again.  In some cases they're not even prompted to reenter their password.  Whatever they're trying to access just fails on them.

We've been telling everyone to just ignore it when the VPN clients wants them to change and just do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to change it (which works fine) or to just call us and we'll reset it for them.  Of course 95% of them don't listen, and we're still getting the same calls.  Is there a way to remedy this?

4 Replies 4

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know outlook has a new feature know that it can connect to your internal severs without having your vpn connection up and running. However I do not know if the outlook password change actually changes your windows credentials also (I would think so). I find this extremly helpful because I run a mac, I dont think the anyconnect has the feature to change the password locally.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

We do have Outlook Anywhere with our recent Exchange 2010 upgrade, and you're right in that it makes getting email in Outlook much easier.  Sadly, even with that they still get prompted to enter their credentials after a password change via the VPN client.

What you can do to test this feature, is to disable the password management feature on the ASA tunnel group (or group policy...drawing a blank) and then see if changing the password through outlook fixes this issue and you dont have to worry about anyconnect prompting users

I am not an exchange guru but can you set the password change notification to trigger before an x amount of days?

Thanks

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

jai_chandra2001
Level 1
Level 1

I know its an old thread, but did you ever find a solution? I am having the same issue where the windows password cant be updated though AD password is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: