cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Java error during AnyConnect install

tdorsey123
Level 1
Level 1

Just installed an ASA 5505 with AnyConnect Essentials.  AnyConnect installation works fine on some windows boxes (All flavors) but have a couple machines with issues. This makes it clearly a computer side issue.  When I try to log into the ASA to download the client with IE 9 the ASA just keeps asking for my logon credentials.  If I I use Firefox my credentials work and I get as far as the "Using Sun java for installation" with instructions to click yes on the java security warning.  The Java Security warning never arrives like on machines that don't have this problem. Firefox just hangs and has to be killed by task maanger. Remove and reinstall of both Java and Firefox fail to correct the problem.  Anyone got AnyConnect clientside recovery tips beyond Java and Browser reinstall?  Clearly I could reimage the system to fix the issue but something less shotgunny would be nice...:)

A Google search show a few folks using Ubuntu and old PPC Macs seeing the same java error I get on these couple of windows boxen(see below)

Java console spits forth an error:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Incompatible magic value 1013478509 in class file VPNJava/VPNJava

The setup:

ASA5505 - New (has RAM upgrade to 512M) currently running 8.2(5)

Client is w2k3 server IAS RADIUS Authenticated

AnyConnect client: anyconnect-win-2.5.3055-k9.pkg

Affected computer: MS Vista SP1 - fully patched

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31 (Using JRE version 1.6.0_31-b05)

Firefox - 10.0.2

IE - 9 (9.0.8112.16421 update version 9.0.5)

Incompatible magic value 1013478509 in class file VPNJava/VPNJava

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Java + browser issues can be very tricky to solve.

Is it an option to try to do a standalone client installation (use anyconnect-win-2.5.3055-pre-deploy-k9.msi)?

Is there a reason why you're using the older Anyconnect 2.5.3055 vs. the current version 3.0.5080?

Thanks Marvin,

It's more of a politcal thing with the customer to tell them that the Web install works 'sometimes'.  As for the version, v3.x is more than 5 times larger than it's 2.5 counterpart.  (26MB vs. 4.6MB) while you can stuff the 3.0 pkg onto the older 5505s there's not much flash: room for other packages after that. That is why as a rule I don't use 3.0.  Now in this case, it is a newer ASA with the increased RAM and flash but I'm still on the fence as to what the extra 21MB of code buys me when it comes to basic anyconnect essentials connectivity.