Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L2L VPN with User Authentication

We have an ASA 5580 with version 8.2 and looking to provide a solution for some outside vendors who need a L2L VPN with our site. Is it possible to have a L2L VPN tunnel where traffic across it is not permitted until someone authenticates with credentials? If it is I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Jeff

2 REPLIES

I can't think of a way on how it can be done. There is a feature on ASA known as a Cut-Through proxy, wich allows authenticate users based on their credentials. But it's not applicable to your case.

To my understanding, if you really want to authenticate indivitual users of your contractor, the best solution here is to use remote-access VPN, not L2L.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Jeff

It is my understanding that with L2L VPN that the authentication is done between the two peer gateway devices. And that once they have successfully authenticated and brought up the tunnel that any traffic from one site would pass to the other site without requiring any additional authentication. There is, of course, the option that within an application to require authentication from a user before processing of that application will will begin.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies