Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Network Extension trough VPN

Patrick Werner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community.

We like to extend our Layer 2 Network to another branch office. We like to use VPN.

The network in "branch office 1" is 172.16.4.0/22 and the network in the other "branch office 2" has the same network 172.16.4.0/22.

Broadcast and Multicast should be forwarded to the other branch office and vice versa.

How do we accomplish this ?

Best regards patrick

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gurpreet Puri
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Patrick,

You can achieve this through GRE Tunnel.

For details, how to create, please visit below mentioned link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13576/how-configure-gre-tunnel

Regards,

Gurpreet Singh

Regards, Gurpreet S Puri **************************** Keep Smiling, Peace :) **************************** (Please Rate Helpful Post)

View solution in original post

Hi ,

You need to check with your service provider for layer 2 VPN .

Layer 2 VPN (VPLS)
Layer 2 MPLS VPNs, or VPLS (virtual private LAN service), offers a “switch in the cloud” style VPLS service. VPLS provides the ability to span VLANs between sites. L2 VPNs are typically used to route voice, video, and AMI traffic between substation and data center locations.

Or 

Share me your Device Details (Router/Switch) , Let me check whether it support Xconnect 

HTH

Sandy

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Gurpreet Puri
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Patrick,

You can achieve this through GRE Tunnel.

For details, how to create, please visit below mentioned link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13576/how-configure-gre-tunnel

Regards,

Gurpreet Singh

Regards, Gurpreet S Puri **************************** Keep Smiling, Peace :) **************************** (Please Rate Helpful Post)

Hi Gurpreet.

I've read the docu in that link. But that docu assumes that on the other side is another network.

But i want to have the same Network/Subnet on both side.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The link was just an example.

You can achieve this by GRE tunnel for same subnet as well.

and if you want the encryption, you can use IPSec also.

Regards,

Gurpreet Singh

(Please rate helpful post)

Have you a config example for that? And do you know which devices supports GRE Tunneling?

Hi Patrick,

Configuration can be modified as per the shared link.

and

Many devices supports GRE Tunnel like 3850, 6500 etc. You can visit the datasheet of the different routers and check whether they supports IPSec VPN Tunneling or not. If they do, the that model supports GRE.

Cheers :)

Regards,

Gurpreet Singh

(Please rate helpful posts)

Hi Gurpreet.

Just to clarify.

If PC1 with the address 192.168.1.10 in branch office 1 likes to communicate with the PC2 with the address 192.168.1.20 in branch office 2. The IP packet will never be sent to the Router because both are in the same subnet.

So how do that work?

Best Regards Patrick

Hi Guys.

Have someone time to explain my upper question, please.

Additional question why do i need route commands if both PC belongs to the same subnet. I'm a bit confused.

Thanks and best regards Patrick

Hi ,

You need to check with your service provider for layer 2 VPN .

Layer 2 VPN (VPLS)
Layer 2 MPLS VPNs, or VPLS (virtual private LAN service), offers a “switch in the cloud” style VPLS service. VPLS provides the ability to span VLANs between sites. L2 VPNs are typically used to route voice, video, and AMI traffic between substation and data center locations.

Or 

Share me your Device Details (Router/Switch) , Let me check whether it support Xconnect 

HTH

Sandy

Hi Sandy.

We do presales for that project, so if you know which Cisco devices support that. Then we will buy one.

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: