cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local router blocking incoming remote assistance request

ShaneS1975
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user who recently moved. they received new equipment from their ISP. I use to be able to make remote assistance connections to their computer using a popular system center configuration manager remote tool. Now i can't get past the handshake when i try to connect. If he has split tunneling enabled would the new router block incoming traffic? I know by default most of the router's firewall will block all incoming traffic (if enabled). does this apply to VPN traffic?

1 Reply 1

Hi, if the VPN terminates on an IOS router, then the split tunneling does not "block" anything. It simply decides which traffic is sent through the tunnel and which traffic is sent in clear text (as in Internet traffic). 

If the router has ACLs on the outside interface, that could be blocking the traffic (even VPN traffic). 

Make sure the desired traffic is part of the split tunneling rule and that if there's an ACL, it allows the traffic to pass.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: